Starter Problems

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My 73 that I just got running is having starter problems. It just spins part of the time. Does anyone have the part number of the starter clip?

On the wishbone clip you may not need to get a new one. If you remove the old one and squeeze the head of the clip together this will increase the tension of the clip in the slot on the gear. This will fix the issue yu have.
I thought I had a pic shopwing where to squeeze. Ican't find it. I recently upgraded to windows 10.
After you squeeze the clip and reinstall it on the gear you can test it by holding the shaft and hooking a spring scale to the head of the cliup and turn the clip on the gear. It should take at least 5 lbs. of pull to move the clip. If you don't have a scale to use you can tie a string to the clip and the other end to a gallon jug. Put 5 pints of watyer inthe jug. This equals 5 lbs. Lift up on the shaft and the clip should hold up the jug. If not squeeze the clip tighter.
In 74 I think was they changed the clip. They made it outof heavier wire and the head of the clip won't fit into the notch in the case. If you usev one of these heavier clips you need to set the head beside the notch.
Leo

Thanks for the info. I saw some of that in the tech section. I was thinking of ordering a new version and using that one.

Yes, you will need both the new clip and the new gear. The new heavier wire clip won't fit the groove on your old gear, it was made for the old skinny wire clip. The upgrade was done starting with the '76 models. Here's a tech bulletin on it .....

RriZnP9.jpg

You can't get the original parts new any more but there are aftermarket kits out there. But personally, I think you'd be better off with a nice, used later gear and clip. Maybe gggGary can help you out with that.

New or used, be sure to check the tension the spring will produce before you install it.

No, just the #4 gear and the drag clip (3 and 4 in the drawing). You can reuse your original little coil spring (#2).

Back