starter relay wiring

flthead

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i making sure i wire this up right , 2 smaller wires on starter relay , ground one and other one goes to starter button ? bike is a bobber ,only using what wiring i need

Are you using the stock starter button? If so you need to put power to one wire and the other to the start button, the start button grounds the circuit.
Your handle bars need a good ground path to make the start and horn buttons work. A wire ran from the bottom of one riser bolt to one of the tree clamp bolts or back under the tank to a frame ground will work.

Then it sounds like it will be the same as stock. Put power to one relay wire the other to the start button.

Factory wires on solenoid is red with white and blue and white. One goes to start button/switch and other goes to ground. Doesn't matter which one is used for ground or button.

Jurob, in the factory wiring the red/white wire is hot from the kill switch. The blue/white goes to the start button and the start button grounds. If you hook the start button to one wire and ground the other wire nothing will happen when you push the button. You are right about the wires either can be hooked as hot or to the start button.
I like to match the stock wire colors as much as I can, it keeps things a bit easier.

I don't have a kill switch, but when I wired it to power and the other to start it wouldn't start. Saw another diagram with no kill and wired to start and second to ground and now mine starts perfectly.

jurob, your start switch isn't like a stock start button. It must send power to the relay.
What start switch are you using.

Yes, a car type switch sends power to the starter relay. On this type switch one wire goes to the relay and the other relay wire goes to ground.
On flthd's start button, power goes to the relay on one wire, the other relay wire goes to the start button.

Back