Starter Safety Relay help?

delagem

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

pulled the boys 83 XS650 out to get it ready for the season. Key on, press start button, nothing. Not even a click.

Jump across the starter solenoid, rur-rur-rur! Ok, starter is fine.

Check the trigger wires on the solenoid. Blue/white shows continuity to ground when start button is pressed. Red/White has no voltage, even in neutral. So I'm suspecting the Starter Safety Relay.

I read a tutorial on bypassing the relay elsewhere on this site. Said to connect the red/white wire to any switched power source. I did that. Vroom! Started right up.

Shift into gear, though, and bike dies. I confirmed it's the neutral sensor. Bike running, unplug neutral sensor, bike dies.

So something is missing in the tutorial I read, on bypassing the Starter Safety Relay. Can anyone help me with this?

IMG_1891.jpg

Do a search for the sidestand safety relay Mike. It kills the TCI box if you take it out of neutral with the sidestand down.
Sounds like your problem. I'll look and see if I saved any info on it.

Found it. The sidestand safety relay grounds the TCI box if the sidestand is down (or it thinks it is). Pretty sure just disconnecting the relay is all you need to do. At least give that a try.

Sidestand Relay Ground.png

Sidestand Relay Location.png

Thank you Jim! That was it. Unplugging the relay prevented the bike from stopping when shifting into gear.

I was so focused on the Starter Safety Relay I had just been working on, that I didn't think it through.

I'll probably fix that kickstand switch, as I had a friend catapult himself off a bike many years ago, when he made his first left hand turn one morning with the sidestand down!

I'll probably fix that kickstand switch, as I had a friend catapult himself off a bike many years ago, when he made his first left hand turn one morning with the sidestand down!
Cool.
Fwiw... I been known to ride off with the stand down on my SG... old age an' all that... She just shrugs it off and keeps on going. Don't really understand why they ever put one on the XS'. It's not that big a deal on these bikes.... at least in my somewhat regular experience. :doh:

50 years ago my 650 "gang" made a 200 mile trip to central Texas 10-12 650s and a stay sporty. Left Houston at sunset riding west on I 10. Just before midnight we stopped for gas and coffee at the edge of the earth (Sam Marcos Texas).

We roared off into the night and about 20 miles down the road we entered the Devils Backbone. Suddenly up ahead of me was this huge shower of sparks. I thought one of the bikes ahead of me had gone down. I get to the corner and theres nothing.

We get to the campground and I ask what caused the sparks . My racing partner sheepishly looks up and sez "I forgot my sidestand when we left Pic and Pac"

For most of my life my procedure has been,

1 turn on petcock
2 turn off lights
3 turn on key
4 kick the crap out of it.
5pull in clutch, put in first
6 pull up sidestand.

The R3 makes a mockery of this and 2M laughs every time I snick it into gear and it dies.

Back