starter stay & lower engine mounting bolt

Niels B

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
anyone in here who know where to buy spares for starter motor and engine mounting bolt ?
looking for the lower engine mounting bolt - found it on partzilla, however looking at their picture it seem to bay way short of the 265mm (10.4"), only website i found was XS650shop.de (germany). Also need one of the long stay bolts for the starter motor, can only find seals and bearings on us web.
frame.png

Attachments

• starter motor.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 109
^Yes, just your local Ace Hardware will have them. If a stock bolt is a special length, you can cut a hardware store bolt to the right length with a Dremel tool, then file a slight bevel around the end to make it start easier. Watch out for the hardware store nuts though, which may be 1mm larger, i.e. a bolt with a 10mm head will fit their 11mm wrench size nut instead of 10mm like Yamaha nuts.

I don't think you're going to find really long bolts like this at the hardware store, and no, that long lower bolt is not available from Yamaha anymore. It's kinda special, having a different head style than the others (domed). Occasionally, I'll pick up misc. parts assortments off eBay, usually from the seller mistermonkeyclaw. One of the items I look for them to include is that long lower engine bolt. Here's one that has it. It's right at the bottom of the pic .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232933779536?hash=item363bef6850:g:6JgAAOSwDyxbmQhd

I also count the number of acorn nuts included. As you're probably aware, most of the ones on this bike are rather specially sized, having smaller heads and/or domes than a standard replacement does. And while most are still available from Yamaha, they're not cheap ($3 to $5 each). So, if there's like 8 or 10 of them included, I figure that pretty much covers the cost of the purchase.

Thanks for all the input. Both the hardware store as well as the bell metric link don’t carry the correct bolt with flanged head, I bought the lot of bolts suggested. Thanks for the link to bellmetric - new to me but they appear to have a good selection.

I saw the frame too :) I did put some of the items in a cart to see if they went, and they did. Didn't go so far as to check out... I used to get stuff from there in person; it's a big superstore kind of place in Lexington

I saw the frame too :) I did put some of the items in a cart to see if they went, and they did. Didn't go so far as to check out... I used to get stuff from there in person; it's a big superstore kind of place in Lexington
I actually have tried to purchase from this outfit ( stuff normally no one else have) order confirmed etc. waiting waiting and finally asking when is my parts coming ? Turned out they didn’t have the part and I was reimbursed - my problem with that isn’t that they can’t provide but that I had to ask for a refund.

^Interesting. I have had good experiences with one or two dealer websites which showed things available nobody else did. Which is why I put that out. I'm not surprised you had to ask for a refund -- their mail order business is very secondary I'd guess

I’m going to have to source the upper front as it was replaced with all-thread to mount the engine guard I pulled off the ‘76. Anybody got an extra one lying around?

I’m expecting a bunch of hardware within this week- really only needed the lower mounting bolt - will see if the upper front is among them and let you know

All three front bolts are still available from Yamaha but be aware that the top one is slightly shorter than the one below it. This is because of the way the frame tubes angle in towards each other.

Back