Stationary rotor assembly

If you don't have one (sounds that way) you NEED a hand impact driver. They come with several Phillips bits and flat bits from large to small. And a #3 in a hand impact would have saved you a cubic shit ton of cursing. About $10 at harbor fright or many big box and auto stores.
#3 philips has removed every large JIS #3 I've ever seen on an XS unless some one before me had f'd the slots first...
I now have an M18 impact driver and it works as good or better than the hand impact but at a much higher cost.
Then again the milwuakee M18 drill driver set with batteries is a wise investment you wouldn't regret making if the cash is available.

Well, time to "tool up", lol. Something you probably don't have but would have saved those stator screws is a hand held impact. This was one of the first tools I bought like 50 years ago, lol. I still have it. I bought it at one of the local hardware stores for like $8. Turned out to be a real good one, a Vessel. They invented the thing and still sell it to this day. But now it costs $60 to $80, lol. But, used ones are all over eBay for like $10 to $20. This is the "Cadillac" of hand impacts.

I don't like to drill off the head .. because in the next step you are still have the problem getting the stump out
And sometimes need to drill deeper that is difficult and time consuming risking to damage more
The impact driver and slot cutting is probably the first option

Some people give it a hit with a hammer axially not sure if it helps

I have had success with those Sometimes .. this screw is on the large side for it.

https://www.biltema.se/en-se/tools/hand-tools/pliers/special-pliers/nut-pliers-2000018144

You use both hands pinching whatever it is that is stuck as much as you can and twist it.

If it is a 6 mm after the slot cutting and impact driver is not working I have heard of drilling a hole axially
say 3 -4 mm and smash in a philips bit and work on that via the impact driver

Heat and Oil helps and you can try a little in the tightening direction getting it Moving and then back on the loosening direction

Can consider to upload a picture ..

Buy the right tools as you need them, Think of the cost of the tool as a savings on labor bills. By the time you're 60 you will have all of the tools you'll ever need, not. A lot can be done with the old original tool kits too. When I worked on my first bike I had no access to any metric tools, that tool kit and a hand impact did most of the work.

Scott

I don't like to drill off the head .. because in the next step you are still have the problem getting the stump out
Those screws are about 3"..... 75mm long. Once the head's off and the stator is removed, you could clamp 3 vise grips side by side on the shank. ;)
There'll be no problem getting the "stump" out.

Last edited:
Back