Stator Rebuild?

Bjorn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I have got some charging issues with my 1980 XS. I have used gggGarys charging system thread to narrow it down a bit. I cant find anything wrong until I measure the stator. The resistance between the 3 white wires is between 0,3 - 0,5 ohm. Measured at the connector (unplugged). If i measure between either of the 3 white wires and the ground (stator housing, aluminium bit) it is not showing an infinite reading but around 0,2 - 0,4 ohm. This leads me to believe the stator is faulty.

I got two options: 1. buy a used stator from Heiden Tuning or 2. buy a new stator from a dutch supplier (see pic.). Since the prices are not that far apart I fancy the new one. However this is only the stator windings etc. I have to place it in the aluminium bracket myself. I have searched many hours in order to find some info on this topic or pictures. So far I got nothing... It looks like the stator is pressed into the aluminium bracket?

CARG621-stator-generator-dynamo.png

Does anyone have some info that might help me out?

Thanks,
Bjorn

James, Mike's XS sells the same Chiwanese alternator components as Heiden Tuning. Bjorn, IMO you'd be much better off with a good used stator than with one from Jerry Heiden. As to the new windings assembly, before I trusted that I'd want to know not only how it's installed but where it's made; I'd trust it if it was made in the Netherlands, but not if it was made in Chiwan. If you're unable to contact the vendor with questions, that tells you all you need to know about them--avoid!

Bjorn, the stator in your picture looks like it is very likely to be made by the same manufacturer as a stator that I got from Caltric for my '81 CB750C. My $56 stator is working fine. There was some filing to do around the outside edge of the stator, kind of a knurl in the center that worked up metal on the edges. The harness was a bit too long in places, this just required some twisting and tucking to keep things clear. Maybe fragile in spots, but so was the original. Anyways, mine works fine, even if it is from China.

I also had a short to ground that was intermittent. This doesn't work all of the time, but I have fixed shorts to ground by cleaning the brush carbon off of the stator with WD40 or a mild solvent, and air, that won't hurt the epoxy.

Scott

Last edited:
I agree, give it a damn good cleaning and re-measure. We have to clean the slip rings on our big motors at work regularly to keep the resistance up between the rings and ground.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can rewind a stator yourself.

http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers6.php

Suzuki GS riders have more than a passing acquaintance with stator and regulator problems. I pushed mine more than once. Easily fixed though, but I was young and stupid at the time. Now I'm not so young anymore...

In Will check without the new stator supplier where its made. I feel the same way about the Chinese sources.

Regarding the last two post, I believe you guys are confusing the stator with the rotor? My rotor has 5.5 ohm between the sliprings. And infinite between each of the rings and ground. I believe this is not the source.

Yesterday i took another good look at the stator, looks like 3 pins are keeping the stator in the bracket. They sure dont look like regular fasteners/bolts.

Has been a while. In the meantime I have scored a used stator from Heiden Tuning. Plug and play and everything is working again (on the charging side at least). I just want feeling the whole rebuild part with chines windings. Anyway im happy charging is back to normal. Got more problems with the bike but ill post them in another tread.

//Bjorn

Used are cheap because they rarely go bad and because misdirected ppl are ditching them in favor of pma. If you're lucky you may even get a spare pickup for tci in the deal. Careful putting the startor on -- it's a tight and kind of funny fit. Hex head bolts to replace those two long screws are a common hardware store size.

Two things -- be sure the one you have is really broken, and if you buy a replacement make sure it's a late version for tci

:agree:
I would rather have used high quality Japanese Hitachi electrical parts, than new low quality Chinese crap parts.
Yes, I also replace the 2 stator screws with bolts. I like the bolt heads, as they are so nice to use with my in/lb torque wrench.

I noticed the place that sells the stator winding that you linked to offeres stator rewinding. That might be another option. Maybe they would just stick one of those things in, but I guess they have that experience. But still I would tend to go with used original because historically they don't break; yours is the first one I can remember hearing about. Maybe used is not plentiful in NL.
https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=stator_revisie_herwikkelen

I got a additional TCI pickup with the deal :) I did use two new bolts and locking washers. Hope this is the end of the charging issues :D

I got a additional TCI pickup with the deal :) I did use two new bolts and locking washers. Hope this is the end of the charging issues :D
Sounds like something cool happened, but can't tell what. Good luck. As a guy I knew said, "If that wasn't THE problem, it was A problem."

The question remaining, and it is the most interesting question, is why is it not distributers, staters, and roters?
If you think you are going to make this what we call "English" language make sense how about explaining why "phonetics" is not spelled phonetically?

Back