....now - about that turn signal....

Yeah, ok.

Late May as the temps started to really climb, parking at work got harder and harder to find a spot that wouldn't put the bike in the sun all day. Pulling in one day, I see a spot that I know will be shaded after 2 or so. By 5, I'd be able to sit on my seat without roasting my nuts. Tempting it was, and I took it.

Well, this tempting slice of pavement just happened to be right next to a big motorized automatic gate. I'm sure y'all know the end of this story. But, dammit, that gate had been inoperable for six months and even when it worked, it didn't close until 5:30!

At 3:30 I get a call from my colleague (rides an 82 Honda) with the news my bike is laying on its side. Turns out that was the day they decided to work on the gates. Well, shit.

The damage. Stella landed on her right side, immediately I saw the indicators were busted. A small scratch on the tank's already crappy paint. Switched her on, checked lamps. The indicator housings and lenses were done for, but they still worked. With my LEDs, they were even the correct color sans lens.

Hit the starter and she fires right up. Hopped on to move her over out of the driveway and when I pulled the clutch to kick her into gear, tap tap tap tap tap...uh, oh.

When she landed, the brake pedal was pushed into the right hand engine cover putting in an ever so shallow dent. When the clutch was disengaged, the pressure plate screws would hit the cover. Tap tap tap tap tap... not much clearance in there.

I babied her home ok. Massaged the indicators more or less into place and started looking at the motors I picked up last year. It's not exactly pretty, but one of those motors donated a right cover.

IMG_20180502_182221358.jpg

IMG_20180610_114305676_HDR.jpg

A bit of cleanup on the outside, a more careful cleanup of the inside. A thorough clean and basic tune up of the oil pump. A new kickstart seal. And she was back on the road within the week, more thoroughly in the category of Daily Driver condition.

One bent right headlight ear, two busted indicators, and a dented right engine cover.

IMG_20180609_081050963.jpg

IMG_20180609_081029999_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180609_081107167.jpg

My friends wondered why I wasn't more heart broken. If my bike is going to take on damage, what am I going to do? Cry about it?

IMG_20180526_183438256.jpg

Bike was damaged, I was not. All's good. Tomorrow, I ride. She's been sitting on the patio long enough.

IMG_20180709_175128532_LL.jpg

Last edited:
what am I going to do? Cry about it?
Right? Okay. Stella fell over. In the parking lot. While you were away... She didn't fall over at 70MPH with you on it. In the grand scheme of things, the incident was a minor inconvenience. It sucks, but you've got the right attitude! Keep on keepin' on! :bike:

absolutely. I know you have been generous with your parts in the past helping mailman out. I’d rather see someone put it to good use than collect dust in my shop. Let me know if you can use them and i’ll Ship it right out.

Attachments

• 10398E88-DF1F-4B31-B889-A49590285A7B.jpeg
    10398E88-DF1F-4B31-B889-A49590285A7B.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 258
I suspect that the only difference might be that the Special ears are chromed while the Standard ears are painted.

....but there's nothing wrong with a little extra bling IMO....

After 76, the Standard ears are chromed Pete. But.....and I stand to be corrected.....I think the Special ears are different from the Standards.

They may still fit, don't know, but someone here will.

And the verdict is...different parts.

77D
447-23121-51-93
447-23131-51-93

78SE
2M0-23121-00-93
2M0-23131-00-93

Thanks again, Willis. Your offer is much appreciated.

Ride Report!

She was a little rough this morning, especially coming off idle. A touch of hesitation. Twenty miles later with fresh gas and an ounce of Seafoam in the tank, smooth as she should be.

I'm glad to be in the saddle again, but I'm also really glad it's no longer my only option for rush hour traffic transportation. Felt kind of naked out there today.

Yes, they are quite differently shaped. The Special ears stick straight out, the Standard ears angle up. Personally, I prefer the Standard ones as they allow more space to fit cables and wires through. The Special .....

lq4kabn.jpg

The Standard .....

fZegFSI.jpg

Bent headlight ears can usually be straightened back out. It involves removing the headlight bucket then double nutting a long length of all-thread through the ears. Space the inner nuts at about the width of the bucket, maybe a bit more, and tighten the outer nuts down. Big washers under the nuts help too.

Back