sticker application

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
found some nice tuning fork stickers for the sides of my sporty tank(HD,eat your heart out:pimp:), but I'm not sure how to prep the paint to take the sticker so that it lasts along time. Its the kind that has the sticker applied to a mesh kinda plastic, then the sticker is sandwiched between that and the card board.
MY tank is painted with urethane, no top coat. It only was waxed once when I first got it(after it cured).
Im thinking wax remover? then de-natured alcohol? should I when gloves? space suit? turn my garage into a vaccuum chamber?
I really want this to work. My tank is black, the sticker is 3" diameter, chrome foil. tuning forks.

Wax remover seems like a good idea. Make sure the tank is at room temperature when you do it. That sticker is of decent size so I would use the "wet method" of applying it like you would do for really big decals for two reasons, to be able to remove air bubbles, and to be able to reposition it slightly after it's on the tank. Here's a standard recipe I found online:

Mix 1 cup of cold tap water with one drop of dishwashing liquid (Dawn, Ivory, etc.). We suggest pouring this mixture into a clean spray bottle, though a lint-free rag or sponge can be used instead. Apply the water mixture liberally to the surface to which the sticker is being applied. This wet method permits you to work from the center to the outside, smoothing out the sticker and eliminating wrinkles or air bubbles. A credit card works well as a "squeegee" for this purpose.

Some people say to use a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol in the mixture too. Not sure if you need really need to do that or not. Good luck!

Oh yeah! depending on the type of sticker or decal, you may or may not be able to apply it to a slightly convex or concave surface. So that's something to think about when you're figuring out where it's going to go. Curves are fine as long they are only curved on one plane. I'm not sure if I'm saying that right but I think you get the idea.

travis, I got you on the plane thing. I'm putting it on the side of a sportster tank. quite flat, there. thought about under the cap, but, too busy in a small area. It isnt one of those 'design printed on a vinyl backing' sticker. Its more like a multi peice sticker. If you look at the yama logo (tuning fork) there is blank spots, or arear were ther is no color. The lines of this sticker is only 1/4" wide, so, bubles shouldnt be a big problem. The solution method- is that what they use to perfectly center windshield stickers on cars and truck? And every now and then you see one that was put on by a totally clueless redneck?.I love those. Here's your sign! haha!(I take that back if you have one)
read the lyrics to 'Lamb of god's Redneck song. L O G is awesome.
--Now , where in sam hell did my camohat go?

I love laughing at redneck cars too!! Well maybe not redneck but cars that make you go :wtf: were you thinking? Kind of like my Crown Vic Chop

Just took a picture of a :wtf: car the other day with my phone. I'll go download it.

Maybe you'll be fine then without all the wet application stuff... I'd use wax remover, and make sure it's damn clean and not too cold. You should be good to go.

:hijack:

I passed this guy somewhere near Minneapolis and went :wft:!!! Was that a painted wooden spoiler???! So I slowed down to let him get in front of me so I could confirm. Yes, yes it was!

They think texting and driving is bad, try taking pictures! :eek: The first one didn't turn out bad considering it was between two moving objects. Before anyone freaks out, there was no one directly in front of me or behind me. :D

Attachments

• redneck01.jpg
    redneck01.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 171
  • redneck02.jpg
    redneck02.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 161
haha!! nice park bench!! My brother has a cobalt SS with the full kit. looks nice, because it is stock kit. but it is rare for a after market kit to match up nice.
Ive seen your vic, and thats different cool. Even though it prolly gets alot of laughs, it still takes alot of skill to do something like that.
Oh, yeah. guy at work suggested rubbing alcohol.

I work for a shop part time and have been wrapping vehicles the past 2 years. All you need to do is wash the tank dry it and clean it with alcohol. The alcohol will remove any wax and the vinyl will stick just fine. We do the same thing with boats and with the exception of having a sealant on the edges not even they peal. Should be easy.

Luke

Damn that does look nice on that Harley tank :D

yeah rubbing alcohol, wax remover... same thing :wink2:

^^ :laugh: I was going to say something when Jayel first mentioned it, but I thought I'd let someone else comment first. I had to study the logo real hard after he said that to make sure there wasn't something special about one of the points or something..

I gotta get off the Jager.
Yeah, thanks alot. I had just put a ass load of wax to seal it in. HAHAHA

Back