Stripped out

bkmarsha

Brad
Reaction score
i was putting the engine back together and stripped out the hole that connects the carb holder to the motor

any recommendation on what to do i am hoping to just re thread the hole and hopefully that will work

also wondered about using a helicoil or something similar

- you will need a strong connection there, esp if youve removed the air boxes, as the carbs are supported from there, also you dont want the future possibility for air leaks...any provisionary fix is likely to not last long...helicoil is the better option

Most auto parts stores will have a kit. I prefer the kits made by Time-Sert. The inserts are solid and hold up really well.

Yep, helicoil. Slow and steady. Easy to get a bit off center, a second pair of eyes to keep you straight while drilling out doesn't hurt. I've got 2 repairs on my engine- valve cover and that little head bolt around the breather. Also used them when I shortened my turn signals.

The importance of torque specs. Whoda thunk?

i've done some research and seen these used mostly on blind holes will it work the same on this through hole

i was putting the engine back together and stripped out the hole that connects the carb holder to the motor

any recommendation on what to do i am hoping to just re thread the hole and hopefully that will work

also wondered about using a helicoil or something similar

i've done some research and seen these used mostly on blind holes will it work the same on this through hole

Just replaced my carb holders today and its a blind hole :confused:
No advantage in overtightening these, in fact quite the opposite, not only can you strip the thread but you can cause a burr around the thread that will stop your carb mount sealing properly. Helicoil or equivalent is the only way to sort this properly :thumbsup:

one hole is blind and the other is a through hole i used the helicoil and it worked great... i still have an air leak somewhere and i believe that is causing the bike to run on only one cylinder

i feel that the carb holders may be deteriorated and i am planing to replace them

any other ideas on what might be the cause

Back