Stripped threads

MitchMan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200325_202414~2.jpg
IMG_20200325_202257~2.jpg

I think it's safe to say that's not stock. Bolt on the clutch side housing right under the Kickstarter assembly. The bolt that was there, measuring 35mm from bottom of the head to tip of thread, stripped out on me when I tried to put the housing back on.

If I grab one of the longer bolts from the other side, it gets tight and by the looks of it, tapped further into to hole. I'm thinking easy route: get a slightly longer bolt put some locktight call it a day, shouldn't leak oil (right?? Haha) second best option: JB weld / epoxy fill the hole drill it tap it. Or the "Ideal" way, to weld the hole (cases are cast aluminium right?? You can weld that right??) And then tap and drill it.

What do you guys think of my situation, what would you suggest?? I don't have a welder so option 3 would ultimately be costly. Unless your in the Canadian maritimes and you wanna help a friend ;).

The best is time sert or helicoil, at a push drill cleanly through with a 6mm drill and install a nut and bolt, these will be more effective than, trying to catch the last few threads of original part or JB snake oil.

Thanks guys, totally forgot about helicoils haha. But is the hole suppose to go all the way through like that?? I was under the impression I shouldn't see daylight at the end of that hole.

Thanks guys, totally forgot about helicoils haha. But is the hole suppose to go all the way through like that?? I was under the impression I shouldn't see daylight at the end of that hole.
Yes that is one that goes right through, so as i said in previous post a nut and bolt method can be used but i would time-sert or heli-coil it if it was mine.

Back