Stripping to bare frame

Dom

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As some of you may know I got my 650B recently and have been going through it tidying it up as I go along, having just got the battery box out to strip it and respray I've realised I've got to a point where I could go the whole hog and strip it to the bare frame and get it rust free. My question is how much work is it to get the engine out and down to bare frame or, is it viable to touch the frame up with most things in situ? I think k I know the answer to the latter.

One other thing, I have a 25A fuse inline with the battery where as the Tech section shows a 15A. One of the multi plugs has 3 white wires all of which were very well melted together.

Down to the frame... use lots and lots of sandwich bags.. marked.. with small notes to yourself..with directions - drawings on the related part for re-assembly..months from now. I'd go with power coat on the frame and related frame bits... side stand, center stand, batt box. smaller black bits. We hand the parts to our powder coat shop, they clean, blast and spray gloss black. Just drop'd the frame for a Xs2 to get done. :cool:

Attachments

• Mark Xs frame.jpg
    Mark Xs frame.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 48
Being a fairly simple bike there isn't much to remove is there really. I'm going to have to clear up my garage if I'm to have space to do it though, I'm tripping over crap as it is with having two bikes in there but the thought of getting the tank etc resprayed and decaled and not doing the frame makes me itch.

Last edited:
Then I look at it and think does it really need it?

Attachments

• 20221113_113855.jpg
    20221113_113855.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221113_113901.jpg
    20221113_113901.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221113_113908.jpg
    20221113_113908.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221113_113920.jpg
    20221113_113920.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 57
Personally I don’t think it looks bad. I think you could easily touch it up with the motor in the frame. But if you are after a full blown restoration that’s a different story.

Personally I don’t think it looks bad. I think you could easily touch it up with the motor in the frame. But if you are after a full blown restoration that’s a different story.
I've decided while I make a decision I will strip the carbs and get it back together running again, that will keep me occupied for a while.

As some of you may know I got my 650B recently and have been going through it tidying it up as I go along, having just got the battery box out to strip it and respray I've realised I've got to a point where I could go the whole hog and strip it to the bare frame and get it rust free. My question is how much work is it to get the engine out and down to bare frame or, is it viable to touch the frame up with most things in situ? I think k I know the answer to the latter.

One other thing, I have a 25A fuse inline with the battery where as the Tech section shows a 15A. One of the multi plugs has 3 white wires all of which were very well melted together.
Hey Dom, you should pull all these threads into one Build Thread. Its easier to follow for us all in one place?

FWIW, if you’re good with a wrench, the whole bike can be taken down in 90 minutes, give or take. Putting it all back together in a desired fashion is a whole other story.
A bit of patina on an old machine does no harm. Perfect restorations are rarely driven.

... for clients that don't want the full powder coat treatment.... we use stove bolt paint... with a squirrel hairbrush.... paint the areas that need attention... then with a small low volume air brush... with paint thinner.... spray the stove bolt.... gently... and the brush stokes blend away. I don't do this part.... my shop buddy... the " painter " learned this trick years ago. Your bike will require a three-stage paint job to obtain the correct candy. I don't have much to do with the paint work.... 😎

Attachments

• Xs 1 chick.jpg
    Xs 1 chick.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 49

I say this as a professional painter of close to 50 years, find out what melted those wires before you do anything else. After that, any and all of the above answers will work.

If I recall right 3 white wires can be the stator. Making the charging circuit something to check.
Regulator rectifier alternator

The Tech guide on here says 15A but I haven't changed it since finding it as I've not turned the bike on while I'm pulling bits off it.

Last edited:
Back