Stuff my dog says; on second thought I'll just build a race car

NashGTI

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a dog, haven't for several years now. I guess I'll show some of the random junk I'm messing with instead from time to time. A coworker somehow got himself talked into buying a beat up old CB750 and I've been nice enough to get it running and promised....wait that's not the right word....offered to make some stuff for it. Since he already got talked into buying it and everything....by that other guy.

20200613_125019_HDR.jpg
I must warn you, it's ugly. The plan right now though is to make a front fender and brace which should turn out pretty cool. Make a new handlebar because the one that's on it really is uncomfortable. Make a new mount for the gauges to lower them and have a spot on that to mount the choke cable. Also in the plans is a fake oil tank to mount where it would have been on the SOHC bikes to move the battery back down into there and put more of a flat tracker style seat on it.
20200613_125035_HDR.jpg

There is a closer up photo of the stub fender/license plate mount.

Also while I was there I continued working on mounts for vents to put in our sort of shop promotional rat truck.
20200613_163108_HDR.jpg 20200613_163128_HDR.jpg
Made them out of aluminum to match the visor that's on the truck and shaped them to try and match the binnacles on the dash.

dodge rat vent 1.jpg dodge rat 2.jpg

The truck itself is a 1952 Dodge body grafted onto a 1997 Jeep Cherokee.
20200613_163325_HDR.jpg

At some point either my boss or myself will make a console to cover up the ugly with the Jeep wiring that still hangs down below the dash and to cover up the shifters for the transmission and transfer case (it's still four wheel drive) and to mount a center vent. Still need to get the vent pods mounted too, but that hopefully won't be too crazy.

It looks more like a '57 Ford to me.
Izzat a '55 Ford behind the bike in the first picture?

Close but no cigar, that's a 1958 Ford Custom 300 4 door sedan. We built that car and finished it 6 years ago or so. The owner lives in the path of the Nashville tornado back in May, the car was in his garage and under a cover but the storm blew part of windows and doors out and basically sand blasted the car with debris. It's been at the shop since March I think but we just got insurance approval last week and started taking it back apart Friday. It really is a beautiful car and a reasonably faithful restoration, better exhaust and a modern carburetor and radial tire and such.

kenneth's ford.jpg kennth's ford 1.jpg
Dug back through the Facebook pictures and found some of the car at the GoodGuys Nashville show in 2014.

And a 64 Ford in the background....

Correct with that one, it's a Galaxie 500XL 4 door hard top 390FE car which amusingly makes parts super difficult to find. It should be going home soon, changed it to four wheel disc brakes, a 4 link rear end, rack and pinion steering, and then completely rewired it.

Let me preface this by saying "Your car, your choice" but I just never did get the point of lowered/slammed vehicles. Leaving aside the impracticality, I think they look...odd. (My actual thought is considerably less tactful, but I'm trying to change my stripes a little...)

Let me preface this by saying "Your car, your choice" but I just never did get the point of lowered/slammed vehicles. Leaving aside the impracticality, I think they look...odd. (My actual thought is considerably less tactful, but I'm trying to change my stripes a little...)
Would tend to agree on that. And to just show I can be tactful at times I will refrain from saying what I think about the size of the pipes on that old truck!!:umm::laughing:

Would tend to agree on that. And to just show I can be tactful at times I will refrain from saying what I think about the size of the pipes on that old truck!!:umm::laughing:

And to demonstrate my awesome ability to read minds, I'll say I agree completely with your analysis of the Freudian implications of those pipes...

That truck is on air bags, it'll sit with the front bumper about a half inch off the ground with the bags dumped. It's also COVERED in spikes, several of which are sharp enough to draw blood (two guesses as to how I know). It's also got LED strips basically everywhere.
The owner of the truck loves it, and that's all that really matters. If attention is your thing that truck will get it, the ability of that thing to get people looking and talking is remarkable. We actually drove a rat rod pickup across town in rush hour with no exhaust or windows and it didn't have nearly as many people stopping and pointing as this truck does just sitting in the parking lot.

The Galaxie is lower than stock, but really isn't that low, no lower than a modern car. We actually keep looking at the thing thinking the rear is settling but it's just an optical illusion. We advise people to keep the lowest point of the vehicle at least 5.5 inches from the ground and most people listen. If done right you can keep ground clearance but make the vehicle look low, which people like. If wrong you end up scraping everywhere on something that looks like it's still well off the ground.

Styles change, eh?
The looks of the Galaxy could grow on me, but a model a year later or earlier would have been a slam dunk, especially in a two door.

Styles change, eh?
The looks of the Galaxy could grow on me, but a model a year later or earlier would have been a slam dunk, especially in a two door.

I feel the same way, the '63/'64 Galaxie are considered to be the classic ones, but if I were to be given one I'd take a 1967 over them in a heartbeat.

That truck is on air bags, it'll sit with the front bumper about a half inch off the ground with the bags dumped. It's also COVERED in spikes, several of which are sharp enough to draw blood (two guesses as to how I know). It's also got LED strips basically everywhere.
The owner of the truck loves it, and that's all that really matters. If attention is your thing that truck will get it, the ability of that thing to get people looking and talking is remarkable. We actually drove a rat rod pickup across town in rush hour with no exhaust or windows and it didn't have nearly as many people stopping and pointing as this truck does just sitting in the parking lot.

The Galaxie is lower than stock, but really isn't that low, no lower than a modern car. We actually keep looking at the thing thinking the rear is settling but it's just an optical illusion. We advise people to keep the lowest point of the vehicle at least 5.5 inches from the ground and most people listen. If done right you can keep ground clearance but make the vehicle look low, which people like. If wrong you end up scraping everywhere on something that looks like it's still well off the ground.

My Friday morning's two cents worth........

I think one of the most important purposes of art is to produce thinking. It does not have to be beautiful to have an impact. In fact some of the most expressive art, art that still had an have an impact are not beautiful. Art is the story of us and our experiences and our ways at this moment in time. ( I guess spikes and the low rider look from east LA are this guy's interpretation of art)

Reminds me of Cheech and Chong's "Love Machine " car . Dig it

Happy Father's Day

On the topic of large older cars. A house just a short ways from me has what I'm thinking is a mid to late 1970's Chevy sitting in the yard for sale. I think someone from that house winters down south and brings back a car each year as I recall other large older cars for sale there in years past.

Now if they could bring back a 1966 C10 Chevy Shot bed I might be interested or a 1989 F150 short bed with the 300 six!

Back