Stuff my dog says; on second thought I'll just build a race car

Haha, not familiar with that saying. Think I'll use it from now on though.

Still raining, shortened the frame horns in the front and capped the inside edges back past the visible part. Will cap the front tomorrow and the right side will get some threaded holes onto which can bolt a tow loop. Then I'll make a tow loop.
20220903_181549.jpg
Something seems to be going on with this particular TIG though which makes me unhappy. We may need a new hose, it's acting like it's low on has flow but the regulator looks fine and I can hear gas at the torch so?

Last edited:

20220904_164115.jpg20220904_164126.jpg20220904_164145.jpg20220904_181112.jpg20220904_181122.jpg
Today I was going to test the rejetting of the carb first thing but the day conspired against me. And then the carb itself conspired against me, but it all worked out in the end. For some reason it looked like a parade going by the shop this afternoon there were so many cars and I have no clue why, best guess is the main road had a problem and they diverted people through the half loop? Anyway, once traffic had died down a storm looked like it was going to roll in but we ended up just getting a rear short sprinkle at the shop.
So in the mean time of all that I got the front frame horns capped and a tow hook made. Chevy orange is the international color of "This thing needs towed" isn't it? After that I cut a couple panels to start the body and got one of them tacked in place. Then things were dry enough to try and drive so I started the engine and the float was stuck down in the carb so it choked the engine off. I tried tapping on the carb to get it unstuck and that didn't work, at that point I thought I'd just shot myself in the foot and would destroy the already used gaskets taking the carb back apart again. Luckily I was able to fix the float issue (I guess, it works now but I didn't see anything weird happening so....?) and was able to drive the car.
I'd fiddled with the camera mount and thought I'd got it right where it wouldn't move while driving and moved it up to capture what I thought was going to be the front suspension and tire down to the contact patch per a request I got for that shot. Problem being when I turned the camera on after all the carb funkiness I must've moved it so it's another poor camera angle. I did clip the external mic to my shoulder harness though so the sound is very much improved. My goofing around with what is apparently an old Ford truck carburetor has definitely improved things though and it was running right at 12:1 on throttle rather than just above 17:1 where it was before. The difference is audible on the video even.

Starting on the right side now, exhaust was obviously in the way.

Attachments

• 20220909_191121.jpg
    20220909_191121.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 43
Having thought on this a while I'm no closer to the answer of why that piece in particular. Would you help me out there?
I would assume it's going to be a fairly complex piece. Interested to see how you're going to deal with the header.

I would assume it's going to be a fairly complex piece. Interested to see how you're going to deal with the header.
So the side of the hood, my plan is to ignore it for now. Simple hump up and over the pipes for now, at some point get some stainless mesh and make a piece to run tighter to the pipes out of that but don't have that at the moment and it's relatively low priority. When I was thinking engine side panel I was thinking the panels under the hood break which will be nearly identical to the other side.

I did this, because obviously I needed more to do

Attachments

• 20220910_122825.jpg
    20220910_122825.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220910_121832.jpg
    20220910_121832.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 46
100% overly generous to put me in the same thought process as those guys. I'm always appreciative of compliments but I'd feel bad without pointing out that there are guys all over the place building way nicer stuff than mine from scratch you can follow on Instagram.

A good blue for the suspension? Was thinking something slightly darker but not too sure. Also did the panel coming back from the core support under the hood line. Gap still there needs to be a removable panel for distributor access.
20220914_200105.jpg

Gap still there needs to be a removable panel for distributor access.
Speaking of which...

How much of the body work is removeable? It appears to me that everything so far is welded. Isn't that going to make maintenance/repair a major headache?

Also, all the body panels are tacked at the moment. Will they be fully welded at some point?

Back