Stuff my dog says; on second thought I'll just build a race car

Considering what it appears your company does, if I ran the business, I would certainly allow what you're doing after hours. You're honing your skills and developing new ones. You're improving your talent at no significant cost to the operation. Have at it!

That was just the attitude my first boss had, any time one of us young guys (yea that was some years back when I was considered a young guy) wanted to spend some time after working hours to work on a personal project. He would even make it a point to show visitors what us "kids" were doing after hours. He thought of it as more or less free training for the company!

But like I said as the company merged and got taken over by ever bigger companies attitudes changed to the point they were more afraid someone might get hurt on company property or maybe use up half a dozen 7018 welding rods and that was going to eat into the profits of a large multi-national companies bottom line!
FWIW, MBA s seem to be the revered gods of business and they don't seem to like an unforseen injury liability.

20220323_190754.jpg

Transmission tunnel pieces, and one wonky as hell piece that won't actually be seen separating the battery well from the drive shaft. If it wasn't only going to be seen from underneath or with the battery well open I'd have to redo it.

What are the three fittings under the steering column?
Those are the outputs for the three master cylinders (front brake, rear brake, and clutch). Way back when I bought the pedal set I wasn't sure about the room behind the dash so I got the pedal bracket with reverse mount master cylinders. Turns out there is probably room for a traditional mount, but at the same time having the reverse will make it easier to move the pedal assembly at some point if my boys do grow up 3 inched taller than I am which is what is being predicted.

Not planning anything crazy really. I've got AN bulk head adapters to go through the tin, two in the front one in the back. So the clutch and front brakes will go around to the left and then forward to the adapters on the firewall. A tee fitting under the hood to split the front brakes and then out to the AN adapters and braided flexible lines at the wheels. Clutch side I've got an inline pressure switch to go under the dash and then out the firewall though the bulkhead fitting and down to an AN adapter and braided line to the slave cylinder.
The rear will go around to the right and down to the tunnel and to the proportioning valve beside the shifter. Then back to another bulkhead adapter which goes straight to the braided line and a tee on the axle. Then just hard lines along the axle to the wheel cylinders in the back.
Pretty standard fare apart from having the master cylinders under the dash which necessitates the bulkhead adapters and having the bias adapter within easy reach of the drivers seat.
They do remote bias knows that attach to the Wilwood pedal set that I'm keen on but right now just feels like unnecessary money
You can reach the bias bar easy enough, just won't be able to while belted in which would be nice.

Last edited:
Well, turns out not everything went well last night. A couple pieces turned out well. I'm actually really really pleased with the shifter piece considering it was done without being able to fit it to the opening as I was making it.
20220328_180636.jpg20220328_180330.jpg

And the piece just in front of the kick up for the seat on the tunnel ended up having the correct measurements so I could have bead rolled it and been alright
20220328_180409.jpg

The most labor intensive stuff I did last night. The bit that actually cost money because of the non reusable nutserts in it. That piece is wrong, I measured correctly and didn't write the stuff out in a way that was east enough to interpret days later and it's got to be remade now.

20220328_180302.jpg

Apart from that silly 1 inch gap it looks good in there though. Really it isn't as well fit as I'd like anyway around the cover so it gives me a reason to do it better the second go round.

277100135_5575559669207604_572628875329798407_n.jpg

Not much in the way of pictures for anything today. Welded in a bar for the shoulder harnesses and made anchor points for the other three parts of the harness. Didn't bother with pictures of those tabs because tabs. I also did half of the left side of the top of the transmission tunnel welding but the day just seemed like it got away from me and that's all I managed.

20220412_191038.jpg

This one bar counts as progress right?

More important was the visitor we had this evening. There is a gentleman here in town who's done some legitimate race car stuff including designing/building/driving a steam powered Bonneville stream liner. He looked over the car and pronounced everything appearing to be not imminently dangerous looking. Also he said he'd be happy to help work out a system for supercharger drive.

Last edited:
Back