Stuff my dog says; on second thought I'll just build a race car

Is this Natural Bridge State Resort Park in Kentucky? Did you go far in the cave?

They are from the Pickett/Pogue Creek Canyon area of Tennessee which is close to the Kentucky border. Looking it up they aren't really close together, there are tons of natural arches and caves in this area though.

20220604_144902.jpg

Disaster now, without going into details I'm losing my spot to keep the car. Short version is that I'm not paying rent and they need to space. Shit thing is right now I have zero back up plan and I'm pissed enough that I'm not doing much in the way of coming up with options.

Option A is a storage unit to get you to option B. I hope this works out for you.

Thinking about things last night the options I think are as follows
-Storage unit until getting a trailer becomes more palatable
-Ask either the building owner where it's at or my boss to let it sit outside under a tarp
-give up on the whole idea and see if I can find someone else who wants the project

I was always planning on getting a trailer, but absolutely wasn't expecting to have to come up with one short notice, plus inflation has destroyed pricing on them as well as my day to day finances. Anytime something like this goes to a storage unit the chances of it ever actually being finished plummet. Plus I would have to have faith that getting work done on it will continue to be an option somewhere in the not too distant future too and right now that's not something I have faith in. Where I work we don't have the room to get the car inside and that doesn't seem like it's gonna change anytime soon, and things haven't exactly worked out the way I've been told where the car is right now so the promise that I'll continue to be able to work on it during the weekends doesn't hold much water.

Honestly right now, the idea of getting a trailer and/or storage unit for this just seems like throwing good money after bad. I've been feeling that way for a few months now and this is just bringing things to a head, it's hard not to be pessimistic. All that being what it is my thinking this morning still is to just give the whole mess away and call it a learning experience in never trusting anyone.

call it a learning experience in never trusting anyone.
I feel ya, but I don't think I'd carry it that far. Maybe it is a good time for soul searching. Maybe think about what are the most important things in your life. Sometimes bumps in the road are life changing. I never imagined being where I am now. You have skills. People like you aren't easy to find these days. What you've done thus far on this project has probably been good practice and it looks good on your resume.

FWIW, Nash, you're going to need a trailer to haul the car around to the racetrack. A cargo trailer large enough to transport the car and serve as a portable shop would be ideal. Used ones can be had for reasonable $$. As long as the lights work, tires, bearings, brakes are okay, and the roof doesn't leak, age and looks won't matter. And, you can "camp" in it, when you're at a weekend of racing. You have too much time and money invested in this project to hang it up now. You've already dealt with adversity, and persevered. Also, fwiw, we're all cheering you on to the finish line!!! :rock:

So Cliff's Notes version of the day. Talked to my boss at lunch and things looked bleak. Few hours later though he came back and told me we'd work something out so the car lives to see another day. Basically I have to pay for storage there at a deeply discounted rate with no guarantee for inside or covered storage. It's really quite favorable for me and gonna cost him a big chunk of change over even a paying storage customer much less an active paid project. Really having my project there is going to make a situation that was already going to be unpleasant for a while and make things even more complicated for him so it's above and beyond for him and I'm massively grateful. Grateful for everyone really, people I didn't even know were following along on social media have reached out to offer whatever help they could.

No more negative now though, tomorrow I get to work and not place a for sale add. Maybe, I may no have a way into the building to work tomorrow, but a lost day tomorrow is infinitely better than the lost project I was expecting.

Well I sort of had a way in this morning. It fell upon one of the guys from the front business to let me in the back shop where the car is but things happened. I got the header exhaust done today. And got a look at the pulley adapter that was done for the blower drive.
20220611_182841.jpg20220611_182910.jpg20220611_182923.jpg

Something cool too, one of the guys sold his GMC cab to a guy from Memphis today and the fellow that drove over with him spent time talking with me. They're apparently in a car club with George Poteet and have been around him and his collection. Even with that guy being around his high dollar hot rods he kept talking about how cool my car was and took several pictures. No clue who the guy was but it feels like an endorsement none the less.

I'm guessing the fixturess on frame rail in the first picture were temporary to locate the blower while fabbing the "real" mounts?
Thing is too heavy and alignment needs to be too precise to just hold it up there and measure. The vertical pieces coming off that piece of square tubing set diagonally will be permanent mounts. They look out of place at the moment because there is a horizontal bar that will come across the top of them and go to the radiator support that is still missing.

The piece coming off the throttle body mount and the square post going down to the engine mount are temporary. There eill have to be something going down to that mount but I haven't gonthe permanent one done yet.

Thing is too heavy and alignment needs to be too precise to just hold it up there and measure.
Kind of like when I was fabbing the sidecar mounts years ago for the ride to work outfit. I made some of the original mounts out of 1/4 plywood just to do a test fit before carving them out of 1/4 steel plate.

Back