Substitute for Mikes XS Dual Output Ignition Coil?

dougmuise

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
I'll let others answer more on the use of the Harley Coil but from a personal experience I can say that doing just the opposite worked for me.
See I was having an ignition problem with my 1988 Sportster and was not sure if it was the coil breaking down after a short time running or the ignition module failing. I checked the coil spec's between the XS650 and the Sportster coils and they were very close. So I temporarily mounted a spare XS650 coil to the Sportster for a test run and sure enough ignition started breaking down at the same run time.

Then I replaced the ignition module and Sportster ran good after that. I think to some extent a coil is like a light bulb, as long as the resistance, voltage and such are close it should work. Maybe at the extreme ends of performance one might see a difference but for the most part that would not be noticeable.

Of course you would need to wear a beanie helmet when riding with the Harley coil!

I'll let others answer more on the use of the Harley Coil but from a personal experience I can say that doing just the opposite worked for me.
See I was having an ignition problem with my 1988 Sportster and was not sure if it was the coil breaking down after a short time running or the ignition module failing. I checked the coil spec's between the XS650 and the Sportster coils and they were very close. So I temporarily mounted a spare XS650 coil to the Sportster for a test run and sure enough ignition started breaking down at the same run time.

Then I replaced the ignition module and Sportster ran good after that. I think to some extent a coil is like a light bulb, as long as the resistance, voltage and such are close it should work. Maybe at the extreme ends of performance one might see a difference but for the most part that would not be noticeable.

Of course you would need to wear a beanie helmet when riding with the Harley coil!

LOL, yeah I'm not seeing a beanie helmet in my future. Went with the Accel.

Mounting the Accel can be a bit challenging, but it fits in the stock location "well enough" :-D

One or two of the custom vendors has an adaptor for it. I think one of them might have been Joker Machine.

87e0dc13ee94de26df1c2d38a5c592c6_394x.jpg

Last edited:
Some of us are using Honda MP08 coils, which are inexpensive and plentiful. Many coils should work.

Back