Summer Riding !

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
We are in the midst of a blistering heat wave here in Central New York, but it was only 85 in the shade today here in Marietta. I was inspired to take a spin in the country, and I picked the '83 to ride.

25 miles away is the small town of Fabius; this favorite local jaunt has been the background to a number of my ride posts, as you may recall.

75.Ride 040.5.jpg

Just down the road from this cornfield is the Dennis Coal business, and when I stopped by for the first time today, the owner, Nancy, came out to greet me with a friendly "hello". An engaging business owner is so refreshing. She had a piece of Americana folk art out front made by a friend:

July.Ride.83 022.JPG

July.Ride.83 023.JPG

July.Ride.83 024.JPG

Nancy is as much into recording and collecting local history as I am. She said with enthusiasm that her building was constructed in the 70's as a dairy farm, and was in fact the first "freestanding" dairy farm in New York State. This meant that the cows were not housed in stalls.
However, a disease spread through the farm on the 90's, forcing the closure of the farm, and leading to the start of her coal and stove business.
Here is a pic of the interior:

July.Ride.83 016.JPG

Nancy was most interested in showing me two items, an old booze-making still,

July.Ride.83 017.JPG

and a collection of coupons given to coal miners many decades ago in Harrisburg, PA, to be used to buy goods at the company store.

July.Ride.83 020.JPG

She had an admirable collection of old farm tools, all which I wanted to bring home with me,
July.Ride.83 019.JPG

but my knapsack could only fit this interesting item:

July.Ride.83 025.JPG

Nancy couldn't tell me where it came from.

So this one is a challenge: what might this be ?

Another great write up Dude! I’m looking at that former dairy barn and thinking, that’d make a pretty nice garage! That would hold all your toys, you could park your cars in there, and workshop and room for more! Haha!

That “What is it?” Has me going. My relatives were all farmers. That looks like it would be right at home in a barn. I’ve got some ideas, but I’ll hang back a bit. I think the country boys are going to have the advantage over us city kids on that one.

Another of your classic great stories Dude. Great to see you out and about again. I'm with Bob that us city boys will be flummoxed on this one.

Other than something that looks like it might handily castrate a bull, I haven't a clue.

That's a nice little run there, 'Dude. Thanx for taking us along. I enjoy looking up these places on Google maps, and that area looks ideal for pleasant trips.

Another strange mystery gadget. Never seen anything like it, including at my uncles' dairy farms. It sure doesn't belong near any udders, and I don't think it'll help with the manure chores. For now, we'll just call it a combination XS650 clutch booster and can opener...

Ok Dude, I’ve been doing an exhaustive internet search and I think I have it figured out.
View attachment 121493

Excellent post Dude and....you made me snort Bob!

The OTHER farm implement is a fine example of a left-handed metric ground strap adjuster. Nice find!

Last edited:
The Coal and Stove store (and cornfield) are on West Street, which I have nicknamed Whiz Street. You see, it has one of those very long stretches of straightaway which enable the motorcyclist to park on the shoulder (heck, even the on road, as there is NO traffic) and find bladder relief with true relaxation. Even a bit of contemplation, if wanted.
There are no houses, and you can see cars coming from such a distance that they couldn't see what you are doing, anyway.
"Oh, look, Honey, there's a man up ahead standing there and meditating on the roadside...."

July.Ride.83 007.JPG

July.Ride.83 011.JPG

OK a complete guess here but maybe part of a wire strainer. the circular piece and the semi circular piece looks like they would tighten up and clamp a piece of wire. I've never seen anything like it but farming tools evolved differently even between New Zealand and Australia so hardly surprising I've never seen anything like it.

Dang, I thought I had it! I really did spend a stupid amount of time researching this last night.
I came across a tool company from the early 1800’s. Named Edward Preston and sons, who made carpentry tools and they stamped them with the letters EP and a number.
51B838A7-2255-4FCE-A102-ECC8BDB5A24B.jpeg

As you can see however, they had a definite logo that appeared on their tools and most of their stuff appeared to be high quality, not rustic.
But I do have some thoughts on your tool. I think it is quite old ( duh ) and it looks to me to be some sort of measuring or weighing device.
Note the fixed pointer and the wheel makes me think it may have been some sort of lined dial for taking measurements? Hell I don’t know. When I first saw it , I thought it was some sort of lifting attachment for use inside a barn.
The search continues.........Dude, do you know what it is?

Well I have no idea of "What the ----it is so I posted a picture over to the Heavy Equipment Forum. That place has at least as wide a group of people as this site. One day someone from near Buffalo NY will be asking a question and the reply will come from Australia or England or I'll be explaining what is wrong with a front end loader to some guy from north of Dawson Creek up in the Yukon Territories.

If he needs to call in a Cat mechanic the dealer will not send someone out unless they take a twin engine plane with two pilots on board! If you think you have a problem finding someone to work on your Yamaha I can't imagine dealing with that kind of a situation. If I was single I might even be tempted to take him up on the offer of some work! That is if I could be back home before snow starts up there!

Oh man, that sounds just like my Dad. For those of you who don’t have Cracker Barrel restaurants, they are a chain restaurant who’s menu and decor is all about old time country. The ceiling of every restaurant has hundreds of rusty old farm tools and implements hanging from the ceiling. They must have a buyer that goes around to farm auctions buying up this stuff. Well my Dad grew up on a farm in Missouri during the depression and any Cracker Barrel we ever went to, he’d spend most of his time gazing up at the ceiling and identifying every piece of rusty metal hanging from the rafters! I really miss my old man, he was a warehouse of knowledge!

OK took 30 minutes for first partial reply guy out in western Washington State replied:

"Looks like a part from farm machinery... like a sequential controller part. Is the disc a pulley or just flat/beveled?"
Thats great, Ken !
I posted to Papaw's Tool Talk and have got zero replies so far.
The disc is flat/beveled, 1/8" at the edge:
tool 002.JPG

And the other side has EP8 on it:

tool 001.JPG

Back