For Sale - Sump Filter Conversion

Ya, I would agree to space the fins out like the stock case. Then it would simply disappear but in a good way.

Well whoever threw this print up I thank them. Pretty cool when someone shares stuff like that. Get some fins put on this and maybe chamber the sides up a bit and u will have a hot product here for sure man. Kinda just looks like a block with a filter sticking out it right now....

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want this product (short of budget). It makes sense to install it once and be done with all of it. Granted, some bikes aren't ridden much, so it's not a huge deal to do one day of maintenance here and here. But this makes it SO easy to have frequent OCI's for little money...

What defined the size of the semi-circle of holes? Is there very limited space when the filter is on? I was just thinking that larger holes may be better when the oil is cold and thick.....

.....But as Infantilebehavior has stated, "Pretty cool when someone shares stuff like that". Very nice concept!!

Well whoever threw this print up I thank them. Pretty cool when someone shares stuff like that. Get some fins put on this and maybe chamber the sides up a bit and u will have a hot product here for sure man. Kinda just looks like a block with a filter sticking out it right now....
If you read further down I created a drawing with the fins. And not being cocky but I'm a 20 year old girl with 3 motorcycles having an awesome time designing new ones of these.
Megan

What defined the size of the semi-circle of holes? Is there very limited space when the filter is on? I was just thinking that larger holes may be better when the oil is cold and thick.....

.....But as Infantilebehavior has stated, "Pretty cool when someone shares stuff like that". Very nice concept!!
The size of the of them could be a little bigger but the gasket on the low profile filter restricts from going to but.
Megan

Megan great job, your very industrial and highly motivated, I commend you. I'd like to see, and know, how far down does the filter stick below the bike? My XS is hopefully going to see some light trail/fire road use and I would worry about it. I plan to put a "bash plate" on it would that work with your design?

Love the design , and can't wait to see it with the fins to match the case's. and it is so good to see a up and coming young rider with the nouse to make a great product . keep up the good work .

Just made an updated sump filter conversion kit.

View attachment 108359 View attachment 108360 View attachment 108361 View attachment 108362

Comes with gasket, oil filter, pipe plug, oil filter union and allen bolts to bolt it on. I am asking $190 with shipping included. Also I can get a quote if people want them anodized. All you have to do is bolt it on. Hope you like this new design. I am not responsible for any engine failure once the part is installed. This is a simple and convenient option compared to the original sump filter that breaks practically everytime you ride. Where a new sump filter is 40 dollars and a new filter with my kit is only around 10 dollars where you can get way more than 1 ride out of it. The new design is way nicer looking and alot lighter. Hope you guys like it and are interested in purchasing one!
Thanks,
Megan

Brilliant idea , and Welcome!
I see you've recently joined the forum and the oil filter plate your first post?

My lower oil strainer is indeed broken , I seem to remember talk of revving a cold engine with thick oil being the culprit for such a breakage in the oil strainer.
As I'm up for a replacement your invention could be an improvement.
Has this been tested on a running bike yet?
Just checked on my bike and I dont think clearance would really be an issue over speed bumps, my other bike being somewhat lower actually scrapes the lower engine case over some of the more severe speed bumps around shopping centres etc.
Forcing me to slow right down...
I tend to look at new things a little skeptically, being this relaces a drain bung that had a large magnet and also the oil strainer that also had two smaller magnets that from what I saw when I pulled mine apart they actually do capture a lot of metallic sludge.
(see pic)
This sludge would I guess be drawn into and be captured by the spin on filter......
And there is another large magnet on the remaining sump bung.
The original oil strainer did provide a fail safe that if or when it got blocked it would break, ...is oil flow restricted or stopped should the spin on filter become blocked?

Attachments

• 20171222_110917.jpg
    20171222_110917.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 308
Just made an updated sump filter conversion kit.

Comes with gasket, oil filter with an 8 psi bypass valve built in, pipe plug, oil filter union and allen bolts to bolt it on. I am asking $190 with shipping included to the US. Also I can get a quote if people want them anodized. All you have to do is bolt it on. Hope you like this new design. I am not responsible for any engine failure once the part is installed. This is a simple and convenient option compared to the original sump filter that breaks practically everytime you ride. Where a new sump filter is 40 dollars and a new filter with my kit is only around 10 dollars where you can get way more than 1 ride out of it. The new design is way nicer looking and alot lighter. Hope you guys like it and are interested in purchasing one!
Thanks,
Megan

Last edited:
Brilliant idea , and Welcome!
I see you've recently joined the forum and the oil filter plate your first post?

My lower oil strainer is indeed broken , I seem to remember talk of revving a cold engine with thick oil being the culprit for such a breakage in the oil strainer.
As I'm up for a replacement your invention could be an improvement.
Has this been tested on a running bike yet?
Just checked on my bike and I dont think clearance would really be an issue over speed bumps, my other bike being somewhat lower actually scrapes the lower engine case over some of the more severe speed bumps around shopping centres etc.
Forcing me to slow right down...
I tend to look at new things a little skeptically, being this relaces a drain bung that had a large magnet and also the oil strainer that also had two smaller magnets that from what I saw when I pulled mine apart they actually do capture a lot of metallic sludge.
(see pic)
This sludge would I guess be drawn into and be captured by the spin on filter......
And there is another large magnet on the remaining sump bung.
The original oil strainer did provide a fail safe that if or when it got blocked it would break, ...is oil flow restricted or stopped should the spin on filter become blocked?

My bike is currently in rebuild mode, I am building and selling these to gain money to finish my project. I sold one to a guy in California, but no word on how he likes it, which could be good because he hasn't said that it doesn't work or completely sucks. But the filter does indeed have a bypass valve built in, it is around 8 psi where it bypasses if it gets clogged. So worse case scenario it runs the same way it would with the broken regular filter, but better because hopefully the filter already gathered the contaminants unlike the old filter where the particles would still be in the case, so when the filter broke they went through the oil system until it gets to the secondary filter. The piece I made has 6 holes going into the filter that are around 1/4 in each so unless you have a huge chunk in your engine the oil should flow smoothly into the filter and then the clean oil gets sucked up into a passageway similar to the old plate and then goes on its way to the secondary filter. I hoped that answered your questions, if you have anymore please feel free to contact me.
Thanks,
Megan

Megan great job, your very industrial and highly motivated, I commend you. I'd like to see, and know, how far down does the filter stick below the bike? My XS is hopefully going to see some light trail/fire road use and I would worry about it. I plan to put a "bash plate" on it would that work with your design?

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't. The overall height of the piece put together is around 3.5 in. I hope this helps if you have anymore questions please feel free to message me.
Thanks,
Megan

Megan, What filter does your invention take? The reason why I ask is that my Dad use to sell FRANZ oil filters and I have a bunch of adapters that spin on where a normal filter would go so a person could remotely mount the FRANZ oil filter. If I was able to use one of these adapters it would reduce the overall height thus saving ground clearance and the filter could go next to the battery. What's the size/thread count of the pipe extension and the diameter of the filter? Or you could give me the brand name and filter number and I'll just go buy one and check it out from there.
Thanks,
Moturcyclenut

Back