Sump filter screw sheared

Chrispy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Afternoon gentlemen,

today I went the to change my oil and check the filter and I managed to shear the head off of one of the sump plate screws, specifically the one next to the side stand. I’m not gonna the hulk or anything it just snapped. Half the screw is in there inaccessibly. It’s a bad time. Obviously I’m leaking oil now at a saddening rate and have no idea what to do. Aid me oh great ones.

There shouldn't be any pressure on the remnants of that bolt now so it should back out pretty easily. You will most likely need to pull the sump plate off again to get at it. If you're lucky, some of the bolt will still be sticking out and you can grab it with some pliers of vice grips. If it's broken off flush or below even, you may need to resort to an ez-out.

Supposedly, special break-off bolts were used here. They were supposed to break off before you made them too tight and possibly stripped the threads in the hole. I imagine years of use and multiple tightenings weakens them so they might break off even easier, like yours did. I replaced all mine with stainless bolts but I always use a small in/lb torque wrench when installing them and stay in the 70 to 80 in/lb range. Making these bolts super tight isn't what seals things up, it's making them all the same that does that.

Invest in a few left hand drill bits. I have bought a few of these https://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/smartlist_2192/rescue_bit.html to help grind the top of the bolt flat. But sounds like it may be recessed. If you can center punch it accurately it may spin out with the left hand drill bitl. The biggest problem is its on the bottom. To do it properly you need to get at it. May have to remove a few parts and set her on its side. I have also built jigs on problem bolts. Use the cover as a guide and use a 1/4 inch plate to accurately make a jig using two adjacent holes. Build up the jig on the hole that needs to be drilled with several pieces of 1/4 plate so you have a nice long support hole. If you bugger her up you can install a Timesert for repair like this.

case damage 2 copy.jpg

Thank you guys! I will try all these bueno ideas.
Side question, I put 10w 40 in (because of its supposed to be winter) and now I’ve checked and it’s supposed to be in the sixties all week so is my engine going to explode if I ride?

Back