Sump gasket.

Trevor9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried to line up the gasket with the screw holes on the sump plate, and surprise, surprise they will not all line up. Can't see how to enlarge the hole without destroying the gasket. Maybe I could use liquid gasket? Any ideas or recommendation?

Rather than using liquid gasket, why not make one? Buy some gasket paper - I usually buy a set with various thicknesses - and draw around the part. Or place the part with mating surface up, lay your gasket paper over and lightly tap through with a ball-end hammer, just enough to make a good impression - always important in life - then cut out your gasket. I find curved nail scissors best, she hasn't missed 'em yet. Use a leather punch, again I bought a set of punches, to cut the holes for the screws - place gasket on hard surface, punch in place, firm tap wiv a hammer. It's easy and if you screw up, just make another.

This is where I made a sump gasket - that time used a photocopy of the sump plate:

https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-644441

When I done my sump plate conversion a couple of years ago I used hondabond sealant and no leaks.

Attachments

• F4E4CDCF-C82C-49F6-8A12-275B677193BA.jpeg
    F4E4CDCF-C82C-49F6-8A12-275B677193BA.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 62
I don't know that the ones I have are chinese, the gasket material has D&K high quality printed on them and Intelface performance material made in the USA on the head gasket. I can't find any genuine Yamaha ones. Athena ones made in Italy are readily available. Plenty of others without country of origin, probable Chinese!

Sealant is fine with a spin-on filter adapter, but if you intend to service the OE filter at all you'll save yourself a lot of headache by making your own gasket. I used the sump plate as a template. All you need is decent gasket paper, a craft knife (or nail scissors, I hadn't thought of that, thanks, Raymond!) and a punch. Vesrah gaskets are OE quality.

Last edited:
All you need is decent gasket paper, a craft knife, and a punch
I like to make gaskets.
Gasket material is available on line or from the neighborhood auto parts house in a variety of thicknesses.
I like a No. 11 X-acto. It is a nice addition to the tool box even if you're not making gaskets. Take your time, it takes multiple passes to make a clean cut through the material. I cut gaskets on a glass surface.
I don't punch the holes. I put the punch in a drill and spin it, drilling the holes. To me it's cleaner and easier and you will learn to do the holes as the first step.
It's nice to have a drill press, but not necessary. I also drill holes with shell casings in a variety of sizes. I have a friend who re-loads and always has plenty of casings.

I've tried several different brands of sump gaskets, including originals, and find I like the Athena ones best. They're the strongest and hold up best through multiple uses. Originals work OK but are quite fragile and easy to tear, so often you only get one use out of them. I don't use sealer but instead I soak the gasket in oil or coat it with anti-seize. The oil soaking works good on the Athena gaskets, not so much on originals. They will often still tear upon removal so I've switched to anti-seize on them.

1: To "move" holes over a bit, a paper punch like to make holes for a three ring binder works quite well.
2: Screw the cover with gasket onto a board through two holes in the middle, use a drill through the other bolt holes to trim gasket away.
3: Cover upside down, gasket located with two bolts use an Exacto knife to trim away some gasket, the cover holes will keep you from going too far.

Last edited:
I’ll make my own gaskets if they are no longer available to buy, or crazy expensive. I use Athena gaskets and have not had any fitment issues. To enlarge holes in a gasket, a step drill works well although I’ve never tried to enlarge one off center.

A large ball bearing and a hammer with the gasket over the cover punches bolt holes in gaskets bing bang. Don't go too crazy with the hammer, don't want to smoosh the aluminum cover's hole edges.

I don't know that the ones I have are chinese, the gasket material has D&K high quality printed on them and Intelface performance material made in the USA on the head gasket. I can't find any genuine Yamaha ones. Athena ones made in Italy are readily available. Plenty of others without country of origin, probable Chinese!
Sump gasket is available from Yamaha
Part # 13414-11-00
About $3.00

Back