Sump Plate Removal

atom4488

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Silly question maybe, but can the sump cover be removed from the installed engine without lifting the engine off its mounts? Mine fouls the side stand mount and cannot be maneuvered out/off. Is there a trick to this that I am not seeing?

Brgds to all

The later models can be stubborn, but far as I know, all should come off. The fastener closest to the stand is a bitch. Just loosen it till it's free of the threads and slide inboard away from the stand. Then the bold will fall out.
What year bike?

Hey Jim,
The fasteners are easy to remove...I also removed the sidestand altogether to get whatever clearnace coiuld be had by doing so, The bike is a '77. The sump plate has limited lateral movement and won't clear the sidestand mounting boss that's welded to the frame, hence the question. It's not missing by much, but that 1/4" of lateral movement needed to clear the boss appears impossible. It's surprising, as I would have thought that the removal of the sump plate to clean the intake filter would have been foreseen by Yamaha engineering.

Brgds

It's surprising, as I would have thought that the removal of the sump plate to clean the intake filter would have been foreseen by Yamaha engineering.
I have an '83 with a sidestand switch. I should think it much worse than yours. Mine has a socket bolt on the left side. I have to hold my mouth just right and say the correct naughty words in the correct order for the sump to come out. Something has to be wrong with yours. I have a '78 and the task was easy.

I have an '83 with a sidestand switch. I should think it much worse than yours. Mine has a socket bolt on the left side. I have to hold my mouth just right and say the correct naughty words in the correct order for the sump to come out.
Yep, '82/'83 with the sidestand switch puts the removal in the same class as getting the battery box out sidewards through the frame......

You have to drop the right end (as seated on bike) of the plate and filter down. Once that's out, you pull the filter and plate down and to the right to remove it and clear the sidestand mount. Install is the reverse - stick the left end up and in to get past the sidestand mount, then rotate the right end up and in. There is a little play on the 3 filter element mounting bolts. Slide the filter to the left (again, as seated on the bike) as much as possible before tightening them. If you don't do this, the top right edge of the filter element may hit the edge of the opening when you try to rotate it up and in.

You have to drop the right end (as seated on bike) of the plate and filter down. Once that's out, you pull the filter and plate down and to the right to remove it and clear the sidestand mount. Install is the reverse - stick the left end up and in to get past the sidestand mount, then rotate the right end up and in. There is a little play on the 3 filter element mounting bolts. Slide the filter to the left (again, as seated on the bike) as much as possible before tightening them. If you don't do this, the top right edge of the filter element may hit the edge of the opening when you try to rotate it up and in.
And don't forget the naughty words. @5twins describes it well. Once you do it, it won't be as difficult going forward.

Thanks, 5Twins
... although I have been doing exactly that, I'm just not getting past that mounting lug. You have given me a hint though; by loosening the screen bolts, I should get a little more wiggle room, possibly just enough to get past the lug. I'll be trying later today.

Brgds

Back