Surprise, Panic and Reflex from an Electric Starter

mrtwowheel

Honda Etched On Brain
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This happened to my '90 Ford Ranger, but, I believe it could happen with any electric starter system.

I was at my second home, McDonald's, when I went to start my truck. Something didn't sound right, so I turned off the ignition. Surprise, the starter is still cranking the engine. I pulled the key out of the ignition, the starter still cranking the engine, panic. Subconscious says, CLICK THE STARTER, Reflex says GO. So, I made the motions to click the starter and returned the key to the off position. The starter quit cranking. Then I started the engine and drove home.

This strange event happened in just a few seconds. For the next couple of minutes I felt like General Chuck Yeager trying to remember a chain of events that only lasted a few seconds and my reaction to every event and, what the Hell just happened? I'm sure The General would have been much quicker than me.

Well, I believe I have fixed the problem for about $13. So far, all is good. Anyone ever have this happen to them? And, why am I the lucky one?

Scott

Last edited:
Yep a bit of corrosion and many starts over the years and the disc inside a solenoid can tend to weld itself to the contacts! I might have beat Jim but 10:02pm is past my bed time!

My old shovelhead did that a few times. I believe this was due to a low battery charge and the selenoid sticking. I remember that panic too though. that battery cable got real hot real quick. I was fortunate enough that I already had the seat off so I just disconnected the batter real quick.

Back