Swapping from a 1 to 2 Petcock setup

itsmattyc

Chase The Sunset
Reaction score
Hey All, I have a 1980 xs650 with a single petcock setup but my tank is rusted beyond repair and I am ISO a new one. I really like the way the stock tank looks, but have been struggling to locate one with a single petcock in good condition. Would it be possible to use a dual petcock setup with the stock carbs (one fuel input), and if so, how? Thanks!

What color is your ride? I've got a stock SG tank in the shed. Factory red, no emblems. I'll have to look at the inside but, it shouldn't be bad.

00S0S_fLRcij9RfxV_600x450.jpg
Message sent , single petcock.
-R

The tank is a single petcock. I put a larger Standard tank on mine and it is a dual petcock setup. Had a dandy of a time plumbing it until I put a 1/4" "T" between the 'em and fuel filter to the carb inlet . Not a lot of room to play with with fuel, breather, wires and clutch lines in the same area.

To use a single petcock on a dual petcock tank with vacuum petcocks, cut a 2-1/2" piece of 1/8" bar stock, drill a pair of 1/4" holes 46 mm. apart, cut a paper gasket and slather both sides with Hylomar, let cure, and screw the plate on. For a pre-78 Standard tank with manual petcocks, make the holes 43 mm. apart. Add a fuel T and you're good to go.

Back