Swingarm Assembly

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Please bare with me a little with this query gents.

As I've eluded to in other posts of late I'm attempting a swingarm swap.

So I've taken accurate measurements of my frame and all components in the assembly (barring shims).

Between the pivot mounting point on the frame I have 200.89mm.

The swing arm with bushings installed measures 196.84mm.

The dust/grease caps (without shims installed) add an additional 0.67mm. So that brings the grand total to 198.18mm.

That leaves 2.71mm to take up between the frame. How much of this would be done with shims? What is an acceptable/desirable amount to ask the frame to 'squeeze' in to hold everything just right without over working the swingarm pivot bolt?

I'm designing several components in the assembly so whilst I'm at it how close of a fit should I work towards versus how much does the frame need/want to close up?

I hope this makes sense folks, struggling a little to word it but any feedback would be great as I'm a little out of my depth here and want to get things right.

Daniel.

Me again, lol......I'll at least get this thread back to the top for more input...

You may have read a couple good discussions on the swingarm pivot and its settings here:

https://www.xs650.com/threads/installing-bronze-swingarm-bushings-and-setting-sideplay.51077/

https://www.xs650.com/threads/swingarm-play-pivot-bolt-damage.61232/

I've followed your developing modification, but I'm not sure if the design changes warrant differences in clearance, "squeeze" or torque settings vs stock.

Hi again @jpdevol

I agree, I don’t think the changes I’m making warrant any differences in clearance, but because I’m ‘fine tuning’ this assembly I have the luxury of working to tighter tolerances than the factory could achieve.

I’ve now got 217.2mm between the frame so I’m going to design the whole assembly to end up at 217mm, that should work out great and not ask too much of the frame, adding residual tension in the process.

C9F34BCE-22E1-4E4E-85B3-A42844966EB3.jpeg

Daniel.

Last edited:
Back