Swingarm bush, bronze, steel? Who knows

Im new member that has been reading this forum for years on and off. im in the middle of a few things on my 83 XS and have a question about the Mikes
Needle Bearing Conversion Kit. My question is if i need to install the Swing Arm Grease Seal?

Im new member that has been reading this forum for years on and off. im in the middle of a few things on my 83 XS and have a question about the Mikes
Needle Bearing Conversion Kit. My question is if i need to install the Swing Arm Grease Seal?

Hi XJedi
unless the conversion kit has grease seals of it's own, yes you do.
OTOH, needle bearings ain't the best for partial rotation use (see my post #20)

Put in two sets of the All balls swing arm needle bearings using the factory caps with their grease seals. So far so good.
But I'm with Fred; the bronze are prolly better in this application. TC bros bushings were a perfect fit.

Sad thing is the nylon bushing was still near perfect. I already bought this so..
Would the seal go in the #1 position?

28-1011_needle-bearing-conversion-kit-swing-arm-xs650-rd350-rd400-xs400_01.jpg

Originally i was replacing the chain and sprockets and noticed i needed new shoes in the back. Now I got the swing arm off with a stripped though bolt and am getting deeper with odds and ends.

Screw it! I've heard other issues with this. Im just going to sent this kit back if I can and get the bronze bushings.

Last edited:
Back