Sold / Found / Inactive - Tach gear housing and adapter

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
I am in search of the tach gear housing and adapter since mine seem to be good and stuck together. I have had a slight oil leak around the tach cable since I put this motor together about 6 or 7 years ago. I am in the process of building the motor over the winter and cannot for the life of me get the 2 apart to replace the seal in there. Anybody have a good set laying around they are willing to part with

Are you talking about this part?
B3C0EB0E-8EF4-47CC-889B-287844A9B23D.jpeg

This doesn’t come apart, there are two repairs that need to be done to stop a leak here, there’s an o-ring on the outside, that’s easy. Then there is a small seal inside the housing that you just pry out.
68195C3E-1B75-495D-AC0C-1E31969E9E1F.jpeg

That’s usually where the big leaks come from. Just push the new seal in there and you’re good to go!
E918EAD3-40BA-46FB-B815-94B1DE4448BF.jpeg
4CCB06F5-73C4-4905-82DE-F2271556F70E.jpeg

Yes sir mailman that is the part I am speaking of but there is a threaded adapter that the tach cable screws on to that I can't get out to gain access to the seal. I have the new seal and oring just can't get the 2 parts separated.

Attachments

• 1114210722_HDR~2.jpg
    1114210722_HDR~2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 93
I have tried everything I can think of. Heat (map gas even), penetrating oil, cursing, etc. Even tried making a special tool to fit in the slot and on an impact and all I managed to do was break the tool lol. I remember it wouldn't come apart last time but didn't think it would be that big a deal. Well x years later and the leak is bugging me. It's almost like the old owner used red or green loktite. If I had a spare I would feel more comfortable being a little more forceful or using it as a projectile lol

Yup and it often takes a special shop built tool with lots of mojo to separate that threaded adapter.

Back