Tachometer Cable Mystery

REPETE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Good morning all

Has anyone else experienced fitment issues with "replacement" tachometer cables? More specifically for '75 XS650B.
I have just turned away my second purchase. My original cable jacket measures just under 30" flange to flange.
First purchase was from eBay and was supposed "NOS" part # 447-83560-01-00. It was nearly 4" shorter than the original I had taken off - and that itself probably could've used another inch (couldn't we all :laugh:).
I then turned to a more trusted source - Speed & Sport Yamaha) and purchased their NOS cable part # 447-83560-01-00. That one was 1-1/2" short!!! :wtf:
The inconsistency is surprising to say the least - especially when parts are coming in with aged labels reflecting the correct part #.
I'd really like to get this resolved and have no issues turning to a trusted source for a replica replacement cable. It need not be NOS. I just want the issue resolved.
Anyone else experience a similar problem?
Suggestions for a dependable/reliable source for a replacement cable?

I replaced mine with a Motion Pro (05-0100). It fit and works fine. I don't think I measured or compared lengths, just swapped it on. It fit right on so I guess it's the same length (or very close to it) as the original. It's listed on the MikesXS site as having an inner cable length of 30".

Sure your fork tubes aren't extended? very popular back in the day.
chassis layout.jpg

The jacket of my original measures 30" flared face to flared face. Obviously the actual cable is longer. Mines broken so I didn't bother measuring it but it probably extends about an 1-1/2" on each end.
gggGary, thanks for the routing map. Unless I'm completely missing something I dont see the routing of the tach cable. But it's pretty much a straight shot from the tach down along the right front frame tube to the connection point on the motor.
Pics attached of my old one in place.
The "NOS" replacements I've received that have been too short is a mystery and I'm at the point that I'm ready to simply go to the outside aftermarket world to get a working cable. I'm also curious if there's a problem with Yamaha having incorrectly listing the cable # 447-83560-01-00 as usable on the XS650B. Given that they're only available as old stock perhaps a correction was never made :umm:
So far two places have been stumped. And further to my theory is that the two cables I received were each a different length.

Routing through triple tree and behind headlight....
IMG_9956.jpg

Routing along frame to connection at motor....
IMG_9958.jpg

The one that was about an 1-1/2" short I could probably connect by pulling it back within the triple tree but it seems to me it should just rest somewhat naturally as the original does.And, I'd be fearful of it pulling when the handlebars were turned. Admittedly, I didn't try that since the bike is up on the lift. The cable has since been mailed back.

Last edited:
No Worries I figured you were thinking something else.
I still have a mystery though.
I looked at the cable that 5T had bought and sure enough "they" (MikesXS) claim it to be 30" CABLE... NOT the jacket which is what my jacket measures.
Now, I also recognize (or am starting to suspect) that my cable is not the true original cable and may be a known workable Yamaha cable that was used. 5T apparently used a cable much shorter than mine and if it didn't work he wouldn't have mentioned it. And then there's the inconsistancy of the previously purchased cables which has me looking at anything shorter than mine as a potential problem.
Oh, these friggin' 1st world problems!

I might do that 5T MikesXS wouldn't be the first place to use an inarticulate description.
I'll check to see what they have on their website as well.

Just looked at it on website which doesn't give any specs. I suppose that's why you said give them a call :oops:

If not for the varying lengths of what I received I'd be thinking at this point that maybe I should've been a bit more patient with the cable that was 1-1/2" shorter. :umm:
Sigh

Last edited:
I just measure about a half dozen 650 tach cables and no two were alike. Shortest was about 29 1/4" longest was about 29 7/8". Tells me they were a hand made item where a kid pulled on a roll and cut 'em off. Anyway.... a few of 'em are in fair/good condition. Yours for the ride if you're interested.

Last edited:
Yes, I"m convinced at this point that I can confidently move forward in the purchase of a motion pro cable. The NOS ones I've bought (different lgths.) can't be depended upon.
I does seem based on the info. discussed here that my "original cable" is a bit longer than it was suppossed to be thus adding to the confusion.
Thanks for the input fellas!

GOOD EYES JIM !!!
1954 BSA C11G Gearbox
I've been bouncing from a total rebuild of that bike and the Yamaha AT2 that I had started just before I rolled the BSA onto the lift "just to see if I could get it started" and then the charging issue with the XS660B... this cable being the last piece (sort of) of that repair. More on that in my CHARGING ISSUE THREAD which needs updating.

Re: Used Cable.... I'll take advantage of that offer Jim if there's any sort of delay in getting a new cable. THANK YOU!

JETMECHMARTY -
I agree, but why would that PartShark site show it as available when Partzilla (probably the biggest dist. of parts) doesn't? I can't see Yamaha still making this part and PartShark as having it but not Partzilla. Unless they're selling a replica cable :umm:
Not being familiar with them I don't want to put myself in a position of losing anymore time waiting.

Unfortunately, Part Shark seems to have many parts listed that aren't available. You don't find out until you try to order it and they tell you it's unavailable, lol.

Yup, and that's time I don't want to loose. Not now that I see this is easily taken care of getting away from the claimed "NOS"
So I learned about motion pro, that Jim apparently grows cables like weeds and that just b/c you receive a NOS part with a correct numbered label it doesn't make the part correct.. :shootme:

Back