tail light modulator

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Awhile ago there was a post on tail light modulators
Question for you is what your using just a 2 wire unit that can just be wired in between the brake light switch and the brake light as in red to red / black to black
I see other units that have more than just 2 wires
Thanks Mike

Do an internet search for modulating 1157 tail light bulbs. They make some that are plug and play, electronics built right into the bulb base. I had a couple on my Suzuki DL650. The ones I had were made by tailblazer, I found them but they are crazy expensive. I think there are some LED versions that are affordable.

Do an internet search for . They make some that are plug and play, electronics built right into the bulb base. I had a couple on my Suzuki DL650. The ones I had were made by tailblazer, I found them but they are crazy expensive. I think there are some LED versions that are affordable.
I'm going to try the modulating 1157 tail light bulbs search as I'm not sure on the ones "made?" for LED
I figured I could stash the unit somewhere near the battery box

I saw 1 with a direct 1157 modulator unit but with a halogen bulb
Bad idea? extra current draw?

I wrote a product review on these Mike. 10 bucks for a set of two, delivered. Easy to wire and install. I like 'em.

strobe boxes installed.jpg

I use a Signal Dynamics brand "Back-Off" unit on Lucille. It is a little bigger than the ones that Jim has pictured above, but it comes with a snazz aluminium heat sink and straps to the XS650 taillight bracket.

It takes about 5 minutes to connect - and then you're away like a dirty shirt.

IMG_2174.JPG

You can see it back there - but few people notice it unless I point it out.

Nearly every time I ride someone pulls up and asks me "what's with my taillight". I just say: "Thanks for noticing". The fact that people are asking about it means that it - or rather the three flashes of the brake light are highly visible.

I also have a Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator on my bikes - and the same thing happens - people ask if I'm a cop...

Pete

Two bulbs on the SG. The ten bucks included two of 'em, so I wired one to each bulb. Redundancy. :D

...and if you could get them to work out of phase....people might think that you are a cop too!

...at least from behind. hehehehe.

I just use my foot. I have gotten into the habit of tapping the rear brake pedal a few times before I use the brakes.
I started doing this very early in my riding. I don't remember just where I got the idea from, probably read it somewhere. Thought it was a good idea. I even got pulled over by LEO a few times because of it. They told me my light was flashing and I should get it checked out.
With LEO's noticing it enough to stop me for it I guess it works.
Then someone thought tapping the brake a few times like that was to much work and came up with the modulator.
I'll do it my way, cheaper, and it easily swaps to any bike you ride.
Leo

In fact, I think that my Back-Off unit is also running an LED light.

I am pretty sure because I don't recall having to replace it in the 4+ years since I got Lucille running and well, you know...SOME people think that the XS650 vibrates...a bit - and that can be hard on incandescent bulbs.

Pete

So the same bulb is both for the stop light and the running light (2 filaments ?)

Yes - if you look at the end of the bulb, there are two contacts and if you stare into the glass bubble, there are two filaments.

One is dimmer - that is the taillight and the other is much brighter and it one serves as the brake light or turn signal as the case may be.

There are several versions of these bulbs but the most common is a number 1157.

Last edited:
Back