Tarozzi fork brace models: clarity between ‘76 and other years

Torchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First off, yes, I have contacted the seller, but haven’t yet received a reply. So turning to the collective wisdom here to help clarify the difference between two Tarozzi braces and whether they are interchangeable.

Fast from the Past shows a fork brace to fit a 1976 XS650 only, and a different model for most other XS650s. The issue is the latter one is unavailable. But the only difference between the two is in mounting diameter. The ‘76 only model indicates a
Mounting Diameter of 55x58. While the model for most other years indicates a
Mounting Diameter of 55. I’m not sure with what the practical distinction is between these different values, and I’m wondering if they would be interchangeable? I have a ‘78. Thanks.

I’ll add to my own thread here to add that the PO cut off all the fork tabs and so I can’t mount a brace or fender to stock mounts. Besides it’s core function as a brace, I hope to devise some way to mount a bobber fender from it as well.

76 was the last year for 34mm fork tubes. I am not aware of anyone making a 34mm fork brace in that style that clamps to the tops of the sliders. I’ve only ever seen them available for 35mm.

To expand a bit, the 76 was the only 34mm fork with the calipers mounted to the rear, previous years had front mount calipers. I THINK fork tube CL to CL remained the same 74 on.

Here's one in the same fashion:
Yamaha XS650 Fork Brace

Flat_Eng_FR_1d4c154a-b7a9-48a0-816e-6a3f3a65b94c_1024x.JPG

thanks, yes # 25-0045 fits ‘77 onwards and is the one I seek, but strangely it was not available via Fast From The Past. I’ll call them. Thanks. (I still don’t understand what the Mounting Diameter 55x58 means).

Fast From the Past

I had a look at this and I believe it only fits the 1976 and earlier, (or 1977 and later?) Torozzi makes both.
Look here:
https://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/fork-brace-stabilisator-yamaha-xs-650-pz-25-0045.html

Maybe a call to fast From the Past is in order. Perhaps they can sort it out.

thanks, yes # 25-0045 fits ‘77 onwards and is the one I seek, but strangely it was not available via Fast From The Past. I’ll call them. Thanks. (I still don’t understand what the Mounting Diameter 55x58 means).
MikesXS and Dime City are not showing it for some reason. Dime City picked up Tarozzi not that long ago.

Jim Hinshaw responded:

“The mounting diameter is where the fork brace clamps around the upper part of the lower fork stanchion (see picture in attached instructions). On some forks there is a step in that area to a larger diameter in the area where the fork brace clamps. We show this by listing both diameters. So, as long as the smallest diameter fits it will work.” This suggests the ‘76 version will fit other years.

I agree, replacing your fork lowers is probably best. But even with replacements, a fork brace is still a good idea on the 650, it really helps. I put ATK braces on both of mine. These were sold back in the '70s and '80s but aren't made anymore. You do find them on eBay from time to time though. The one I put on my '78 I bought new back in the '80s for my SR500 but I found it made no difference so I eventually took it off. That being such a small, light bike, it didn't need a brace. But since the SR forks are virtually the same as 650 forks, I was able to fit it to my '78 .....

6uBYzJZ.jpg

Recently, I scored another off eBay for my '83 .....

mo4cWPo.jpg

tjq4vMZ.jpg

It was rather corroded when I got it .....

3y0i2M3.jpg

..... but being polished aluminum, it cleaned up pretty easily .....

KGDvNoc.jpg

Most of these were made to fit several different bikes so have a small amount of width adjustment (slotted holes). They also sometimes require shimming the part that clamps on the fork lower. My used one didn't include the shim stock that came with new ones so I made my own shims from stainless flat stock .....

rDBR2w5.jpg

It actually looks better than the original stuff, lol. If you plan on shopping eBay for one, here are the measurements you'll need the seller to verify. The width is for the minimum adjustment setting.....

efEuke3.jpg

1M6O7Af.jpg

Thanks. Very helpful. I was looking for info on interchangeability. I think for now I’ll go for the brace given as it’s recommend regardless. I’ll save changing out the forks for another version of this bike. Perhaps I can bracket/clamp a light bobbed fender around the forks somehow.

The nice thing about used ATK braces is the price. I've scored a couple so far off eBay for around $40 each. I was ready to pull the $100+ pin on a new one but thought I'd take a look on eBay first. It was worth it.

That’s where my head is at too. By the time I purchase with exchange and ship, even to Canada, the prices on new can near double in some cases.

The nice thing about used ATK braces is the price. I've scored a couple so far off eBay for around $40 each. I was ready to pull the $100+ pin on a new one but thought I'd take a look on eBay first. It was worth it.

I’ll add to my own thread here to add that the PO cut off all the fork tabs and so I can’t mount a brace or fender to stock mounts. Besides it’s core function as a brace, I hope to devise some way to mount a bobber fender from it as well.

Are you saying he cut off the guard mount brackets as well so no guard can be refitted???

Back