TCI Ignition box schematic, and question on pickup-coils

Focus Research

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I am helping a friend rework a pair of very tired, non-running XS650s, focusing on the electrics, since I am a degreed EE with plenty of test equipment.

One of the bikes, a 1981, had the stock, non-function TCI box still attached to the bottom of the battery box, plus another unit tie-strapped on. Someone in the past bought the 2nd box from a junk yard and wired it in to make the bike run. The stock unit is labeled "TCI 12-01B" and the replacement "TCI 12-01", which is part of the story here. I opened both to compare them, and clearly the "01B" is a cost-reduced, later revision of the "01" unit. The "01" version has a more costly double-sided PCB and about twice as many parts, including 7 signal-level transistors (plus the power transistor), whereas the "01B" unit has four transistors and is built on a much cheaper single sided board. I've attached photos of both for comparison.

I have not reverse-engineered the "01" board, but have done so on the "01B". I found that someone else has posted a schematic of this board on this forum, and although it was a good start, it wasn't logically arranged and drawn like an engineer would do. So I've redrawn it and added notation for parts, wattage, etc. I'm confident it is correct, but if someone finds an error, please contact me.

By the way, on the dead "01B" board, I found that Zenor diode ZD1 was blown (shorted). Some people on this forum suggested it can be replaced with a generic 12V Zenor. That is probably not true. The correct diode is a 8.2V device, and replacing it with a 12V diode will over-voltage the Hitachi 1825P IC, causing it to at least malfunction, if not die.

About that IC: Lots of speculation about what it is and I, like others, have been unable to find a spec sheet for it. However, the predecessor "01" unit used a Hitachi 17902P, which is a quad op-amp. I suspect the 1825P is something similar. The latter chip has extra pins that are either for heat-sink or extra current capacity.

Now for a question: Has anyone put an oscilloscope on the output of the ignition senor coil mounted over the alternator? I've read on this form that the magnets for the sensor can get weak over time. I put my 'scope on the leads and found that the W/G lead produces a waveform that goes ~2.5V negative, and the W/R wire produces a nearly identical, thought inverted waveform, that goes ~2.8V positive. (The B/W wire is the ground reference.) Is that enough to trigger the ignition box, or should I look at newer and stronger magnets?

Hope this information helps someone and they, can in turn, help me.

Attachments

• TCI - Schematic.jpg
    TCI - Schematic.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 630
  • TCI12-01B.JPG
    TCI12-01B.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 554
  • TCI12-01.JPG
    TCI12-01.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 592
First, welcome to the forum!
@Team Junk has a thread going on a TCI replacement. Here's a scope shot of the trigger.... comment# 734.
That thread is a long slog, but you're more than welcome to join in. We can use a good engineer. :D

Just reread your comment....
I've read on this form that the magnets for the sensor can get weak over time......... or should I look at newer and stronger magnets?
That does look to be a common claim here, but I'm skeptical. I rewind the rotors and have done about 20 of 'em with the TCI magnet. My test is somewhat informal, but I've not ran across a weak one yet. I have a theory on that. Although the magnet is somewhat shielded from the rotors magnetic field, I think enough gets through to re-magnetize the magnet every time the alternator starts charging.

Focus, thanks for the redrawn schematic. It's much better.
As far as the magnet being weak, I figure it's the shellac breaking down in the pickup coil and micro shorts reducing the coil output.
Generally when a magnet is replaced, it's replacement is a neo magnet that produces a greater field that makes up for short comings in the pickup.
I was surprised that the zener failed in a shorted condition. Been my experience that they fail open.

Anyway have a look at the Gonzo box. Instead of analog timing loops it uses a microprocessor to time the passing of the magnet and a single pickup to sense it. We are still working out the details and testing is ongoing. So far the results have been good with the exception of some anomalies with the dual pickup(I think).

Anyway on the test stand using a single coil pickup and a 6mm neo magnet it's working grand and has with both style boxes other than I'm worried about the voltage levels the pick up is making. Easy to fix.
The Hitachi boxes at best were pretty primitive in comparison to what we have now. Trying to repair a stock TCI box seems like a snake chasing it's tail. Fix one component and down the road some other 40 year old component will smoke. If there were no other alternatives I could see going down that trail.
This thread has the readers digest details
http://www.xs650.com/threads/gonzo-diy-tci-system.57694/#post-652047

I'm curious now which one is more common and is one better, or tougher as in last longer. I have an 80 s which was 1st year of tci. I've never had an issue with it so I don't know which one it is. Can I see it and read the model # without disturbing anything? Or does anyone else know what was common in the 1980.

I'm curious now which one is more common and is one better, or tougher as in last longer. I have an 80 s which was 1st year of tci. I've never had an issue with it so I don't know which one it is. Can I see it and read the model # without disturbing anything? Or does anyone else know what was common in the 1980.
Don't know if it was original, but my 80 has the -01. If you shine a light and mirror up under the battery box, you should be able to read the part #.

I previously asked if anyone had 'scope traces for the alternator ignition detection coils leading to the TCI box. Last night, I recorded some images from this 1981 model into a TCI12-01B unit. I found that the output of the coils didn't matter if the TCI box was plugged in or not. This trace was obtained by kicking the engine, not using the starter. Also note that 12V was NOT on. I don't know yet if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• WG top WR bot with TCI, no 12V.JPG
    WG top WR bot with TCI, no 12V.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 478
IMPORTANT SCHEMATIC CORRECTION!

I previously posted a schematic of the TCI Version B. There is an error in it. Capacitors C3 and C5 were incorrectly listed as 33uF. They are actually 3.3uF. They are corrected on this schematic, and the date/version number of the schematic are updated.

Attachments

• TCI - Schematic.jpg
    TCI - Schematic.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 588
Reviving this old thread . . . I reversed the diagram on the TCI unit with the obsolete chip several years ago. Never got around to the 17902 chip version. Is there one on this site anywhere? I have a couple of these trying to fix for some guys. It's not really difficult to follow the signals but would be a little easier to follow my troubleshooting. And about to wire up a Gonzo box adapter harness and see if I can get it working on my test set. Also working on a dual pulser circuit so I don't have to use the vacuum cleaner motor with a plastic plate (with a magnet embedded) to simulate the rotor-pickup assembly.

Look for a thread by @sleddog83 .
Don't recall which ones, but he reverse engineered the schematics on a few.

Back