Tci injection?

Runninlean

Model citizen, zero discipline
Reaction score
Has anyone put a tci from a 81’ on a 75? Didnt. Know if it would require a full harness swap or if I’m crazy. The points gotta go.

You will need to do the following:

Fit an 81 Type alternator stator casing to get the pickup coils and 81 Type rotor to get the pickup magnet (although you could drill an older rotor accurately and fit a magnet).

Modify the brushes on the 81 alternator stator casing to match the 75's Type B regulator.

Fit a dual spark ignition coil for the TCI to drive.

Add extra wiring to connect the the 75's harness and coil into the TCI.

These are not big issues to address, but is it worth the trouble?? I would personally find it much better value and easier to fit a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition system which is modern and reliable. Failing that I would retain the points ignition as long as it was all mechanically sound, particularly the advance mechanism.

Have fun and enjoy the XS.

just wondering if I could just use what I have already
If you already have all the TCI bits... that's prolly your best (cheapest) option. Personally, I like a crank triggered system over the cam fired.

Last edited:
Has anyone put a tci from a 81’ on a 75? Didnt. Know if it would require a full harness swap or if I’m crazy. The points gotta go.

I've done the equivalent, '80 something to my '77 and I'd do it again. Having the non running donor bike there in its entirety is helpful for a novice. I mounted the TCI unit to the left side of the battery box and the combo reg/rec is mounted off the rear engine mount with a fabbed metal hangar, right side. The dual coil mount was fabbed to accept the single dual output coil, not unlike the stock TCI setup.
Save your points and all parts associated with it to run........if we get hit with a mass CME you may be the only one for miles around with a motor vehicle that works.......lol

There are SO MANY people taking the stock (working) TCI's off their bikes that getting a full TCI system should be a breeze. Ask around on FB. I got a full TCI system for my bike (was points) with a new gonzo box and MP08 coils all in for less than $150. I personally don't mind points at all but the motor going in my chopper was sans ignition hardware and charging system when I got it. Yes you will need to do a little bit of wiring going from points to TCI.

If you go TCI it is important to mount it to the battery box, the weight of the battery and rubber mounting greatly reduce vibration there. The old school electronics in the TCI won't survive the shaking if the box is hard mounted to frame or engine.

If you go TCI it is important to mount it to the battery box,
If you acquire the TCI components from a later bike, acquire a TCI battery box as well. This will have mounting points for the late model components already incorporated. You will lose only the aft mount for the early airboxes.

Back