TCI issues? Gonzo? what to do?

Compliments of member INXS via Tech Section
81 stock wiring simplified.PNG

TC Bros chopper harness appears to be intended to be used with stock harness.

Possible switch detail (attached below) to work with above example from INXS

Attachments

• KEY SW.pdf
    163.4 KB · Views: 107
Thinking aloud, always the possibility of an error in the harness, check that both coil and TCI have plus 12 supplied.A test light is best for that as it shows both voltage and enough current to actually do the job. I'm a fan of "a turn signal bulb". with some leads and clips.

Thinking aloud, always the possibility of an error in the harness, check that both coil and TCI have plus 12 supplied.A test light is best for that as it shows both voltage and enough current to actually do the job. I'm a fan of "a turn signal bulb". with some leads and clips.
How do I test the TCI and Coil? Just probe the proper wires with the ignition on? Stupid question I know but just want to do it properly 😅

Quick and dirty coil test (any coil)....

Make sure you have 12v at the red wire (power in).
Remove spark plugs and plug 'em back into the coil... make sure they're grounded to the engine.
Take the orange wire... the one attached to the coil and tap it to the frame.... tap tap tap... every time you tap it the plugs should give a nice fat blue spark.

Explanation..... every time you ground the coil (tap), it charges. When you lift the wire off the frame (un-tap?) the secondary discharges.... blue sparks ensue.

Remember that for a "stuck on the side of the road" test.

Quick and dirty coil test (any coil)....

Make sure you have 12v at the red wire (power in).
Remove spark plugs and plug 'em back into the coil... make sure they're grounded to the engine.
Take the orange wire... the one attached to the coil and tap it to the frame.... tap tap tap... every time you tap it the plugs should give a nice fat blue spark.

Explanation..... every time you ground the coil (tap), it charges. When you lift the wire off the frame (un-tap?) the secondary discharges.... blue sparks ensue.

Remember that for a "stuck on the side of the road" test.
Awesome. I will definitely be trying that later. Thank you!

I tried to test the power to the TCI this morning before work but I don't think I did it right. I'll be trying again later.

I knew this was going to be the hardest part of this entire build. I LOATHE dealing with wiring. Probably because I'm not that knowledgeable about it haha.

Last edited:
So. I was able to get spark and get it to fire BUT the second it fired it revved extremely high, popped a fuse and then shut off.

I tried the LED test on the TCI and when it fired the LED was barely lit solid before I kicked it, I kicked it and then it fluttered and then the bike fired and revd then died.

I'm getting closer! The only thing that I changed was a proper battery to frame ground and a ground from the battery to the ground on the key switch and a + from the battery to the BATT terminal on the key switch.

Everything seems to be working now but I think I have something wrong because of the non stop high rev and then dead.:umm::umm:

Ha! You keep gett'in stuck with me, as everyone else on this site is asleep and I often quit tinker'in on scoots about now (carbs work and new VAPE ignition on my '74 RD tonight).

Aside from throttle butterflies in the wrong position, an electrical issue may be tricking the ignition to advance early. Other possibility is an air leak @ intake manifold. Carb synch can sometimes cause that too.

I did notice in the pic of your bike that the large ground eyelet normally attached to top motor mount is unhooked. Perhaps the motor is not well grounded and screwing the e-advance in TCI box. Excess rpm may have produced excess voltage on charge circuit, popping a fuse. I'm mostly guessing here as I can't remember having this issue myself.

I reckon the switch diagram that I drew-up last night matches the type of switch you're using?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this seems to have turned into a repair thread and no longer a classified ad. Should it be moved over to the Garage so it doesn’t keep bumping other classified adds down?

I've got a TCI box I can part with, came off my '80 Special a couple months back when I switched over to Pamco... Far as I know nothing wrong with it, only reason I bothered to change it is cuz I got the Pamco kicked down for free from a friend...

I've got a TCI box I can part with, came off my '80 Special a couple months back when I switched over to Pamco... Far as I know nothing wrong with it, only reason I bothered to change it is cuz I got the Pamco kicked down for free from a friend...
How much do you want for it??

Ha! You keep gett'in stuck with me, as everyone else on this site is asleep and I often quit tinker'in on scoots about now (carbs work and new VAPE ignition on my '74 RD tonight).

Aside from throttle butterflies in the wrong position, an electrical issue may be tricking the ignition to advance early. Other possibility is an air leak @ intake manifold. Carb synch can sometimes cause that too.

I did notice in the pic of your bike that the large ground eyelet normally attached to top motor mount is unhooked. Perhaps the motor is not well grounded and screwing the e-advance in TCI box. Excess rpm may have produced excess voltage on charge circuit, popping a fuse. I'm mostly guessing here as I can't remember having this issue myself.
Haha! No worries!! That's cool!

I'm going to be looking into the carb next for sure.

Yeah that ground wire is disconnected. I have a different one from the frame to the engine. Haven't taken that one off because I might want to use it and don't want to lose it haha

Looks like they are goin for about $85 on eBay, so... that sound fair to u? I've never bought or sold one of these so I came into this flying blind lol hoping you would just tell me what you were trying to fork out and we'd go from there but since I had to go do my homework that was what I came up with haha

That sounds fair. Someone else in here has on for $85 shipped. Mind holding onto it for me for a bit? Gotta see if mine is actually my problem or not before I buy another one.

Did you check out the link Gary posted in comment #4?
20 bucks for a suitable replacement.... even if just for troubleshooting seems a pretty good way to go.
Jus' sayin'... :sneaky:

Back