TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

BTW it's still doing it's thing well...
254___thumbs-up-emoji.png

Knowing how OEMs work, I’d guess that same little GN250 box is used on a huge number of twins in the developing world - like many many millions.

...and yes TJ - the retail price of a TCI box in Canada is in excess of $2.34 million CAD. ;)

Also, if I’m not mistaken, the Honda MP08 coil was used on all Honda bikes with two or more cylinders for many years (ie. Gold Wings, those zillions of Honda in-line fours they sold, the ST bikes etc.).

Last edited:
I was just comparing the older alternators with the TCI versions. It looks like the older ones have sufficient space to allow for the mounting of a pickup coil? Then combine this with Jim's magnet fix.

The early stator housing are the same as the TCI stator housing. We are working out the retrofit pickup. The stock one is very shallow to fit in the space but we have a candidate that Jim should have soon. The preliminary measurements looks encouraging.

Well sumbich... that was easy.
So, while waiting on the epoxy cure on the test rotor, I decided to play around with some other ones and come up with a plan. This is gonna be a pic intensive post, so bear with me... Thought about using a degree wheel, or even a digital level to figure out the angle of the magnet placement.

deg.jpg

Both ways are pretty easy to figure out the angle... but I'm trying to stay faithful to the "backyard wrench" idea behind this whole endeavor, and not everyone has these toys. I was playing with a ruler when I noticed something.... look at the relationship between the timing mark and the magnet.

look.jpg

Looks to me like they line up at the edge of the mount. Looking at the edge, there's a shoulder there just below where the threads end.... enough to rest a straightedge on.

Shoulder.jpg

So I rested the ruler against it and lined one end up on the timing mark.

time mark.jpg

And here's where the other end wound up....

magnet.jpg

Drew a line with an ultra fine sharpie....

marked sharpie.jpg

.... and drew a line from the edge back to the center.

centered mark.jpg

Sonofagun... it splits the magnet right down the middle. So I duplicated that process on an old style rotor without the magnet.

duped on old rotor.jpg

Added some tape the the sides and ran the marks down the sides of the rotors.

side by side.jpg

Also did the same on the timing mark side of the rotors. Then I stacked 'em on each other and lined up the timing marks. Used a mirror so I could get a pic of both sides at once....

mirrored.jpg

There's just a slight amount of camera parallax error there, but trust me, both sides lined up perfectly.

So... what's the correct angle? I have no idea. :rolleyes: I'm sure my ocd will force me to find the angle at some point, but honestly... we don't need to know. It doesn't get much easier than this for the backyard wrenches out there... and that's what counts.:D

Last edited:
Beautiful. Check and make sure the keyways line up. I was reading a post somewhere here about the keyways not lining up with the timing mark maybe having to do with early vs. late.

Beautiful. Check and make sure the keyways line up. I was reading a post somewhere here about the keyways not lining up with the timing mark maybe having to do with early vs. late.
Keyways are identical on OEM's. Repops.... not so much.

Back