TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Now I have swapped charging systems completely off another 1980 xs650 so different pickup. Rotor stator etc. New GN box. New reg rec.
Has it fried one since you swapped all that stuff?

Yup. It fires with a different coil and then cooks It. The last two failures had open secondary paths. The first bad coil lost all continuity on primary and secondary

Hi
This seems as an electrical fault finding problem
Not done the read up some first thoughts
Would help see the actual wiring description
Does it run properly at all and how long before it is over
Correct ? spark plugs ..without faults ?
Kill switch there ?
Box upside down ( just thinking out loud )
thinking out loud as per picture below
If the 12 V is Connected to coil Red / White and downstream in the box Orange
Is a low resistance or short to ground Black
Lower resistance than the coil is manufactured for --- an Over current can happen

Attachments

• Gonzo.JPG
    Gonzo.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
A shot in the dark. New plugs. Dual output coils have to be able to fire both sides , else they get very grumpy.

All the Gonzo box does is ground the negative side of the coil.

Hi
This seems as an electrical fault finding problem
Not done the read up some first thoughts
Would help see the actual wiring description
Does it run properly at all and how long before it is over
Correct ? spark plugs ..without faults ?
Kill switch there ?
Box upside down ( just thinking out loud )
thinking out loud as per picture below
If the 12 V is Connected to coil Red / White and downstream in the box Orange
Is a low resistance or short to ground Black
Lower resistance than the coil is manufactured for --- an Over current can happen

When she runs shes very smooth and strong. Periods of run time are a few mins max. I am running new BR7ES plugs. I have gone over the box positions and connections numerous times and matches what you have posted. Paths to ground are .4-.6 ohm

I checked the new caps resistance....they are about 1050 ohms. The plugs i have not checked. I will get another coil, non resistor caps and plugs to try.

I checked the new caps resistance....they are about 1050 ohms. The plugs i have not checked. I will get another coil, non resistor caps and plugs to try.

Thinking out loud here not thought trough ..disregard if not possible
?? A Fuse on the red white to the coil ..starting small so it pops and increasing
or elsewhere .. plug side might be difficult.

1k is awfully low on the the plug caps. Should be 5K. Non resister plug caps will work the coils even harder. A 5amp fuse in the red and white circuit wouldn't be a bad thing to help diagnose this.

Coil primary should measure in the 2.4 to 3k neighborhood.
You dont want use a cdi coil which have primaries down in the 400 ohm range the dwell this ignition makes will kill em dead.
Accel 140403 colis have been bullet proof for me.

Last edited:
I'm having good luck with the Honda MP08 coil with the GN box. You can usually find them used on Ebay for 20 bucks and under.
Maybe we should have been clearer. Run one or the other as resistor... just not both.

1k is awfully low on the the plug caps. Should be 5K. Non resister plug caps will work the coils even harder. A 5amp fuse in the red and white circuit wouldn't be a bad thing to help diagnose this.

I will try an inline fuse....I have had the failures with new caps and oem caps

Back