TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

SO far she has eaten 2 oem coils and 1 CHI-na coil for various jap bikes and "Replaces Fit For Yamaha part number : 1AA-82310-09-00 / 36Y-82320-60-00". All three coils failed leaving the only common item left is plugs and wiring...

Still no Expert and still not done a read up.
But if I understand it right the primary side has low resistance few Ohms
Secondary higher.
Is there any chance the Box has fried .. And letting out to much current to the coils and every time a new coil is inserted the same box kills it.
It is not uncommon either in fex HiFi that one fault generates another .
I recently made that mistake myself.
Looking for a fault on a HiFi -- connecting speakers and looked for faults in the amplifier and could not find it
And after a long time also found out that the Amplifier at some point in time fried the loudspeakers
So I was trying to find fault in the amplifier not understanding that I could not get at good sound with the speakers.that was broken

For cars
Low resistance or a short in the primary can cause the transistor to carry more current that can damage the control circuit.

The latest coil out da box was bout 4.7 ohm on the primary. Bad box was my initial thought when the second coil shit. I bought another new GN ignitor and coil and boom third coil cooked. The strangest part is that the first coil lasted for several test rides and suddenly shit...however looking back i put a new replacement reg/rec on..... the oem one was bad and was proved to be causing a mid range sputter as i previously posted about in here. Is there a chance that the replacement reg/rec could be causing coil failures? Unfortunately i have not been able to get a multimeter on during the short periods of run time.

The latest coil out da box was bout 4.7 ohm on the primary. Bad box was my initial thought when the second coil shit. I bought another new GN ignitor and coil and boom third coil cooked. The strangest part is that the first coil lasted for several test rides and suddenly shit...however looking back i put a new replacement reg/rec on..... the oem one was bad and was proved to be causing a mid range sputter as i previously posted about in here. Is there a chance that the replacement reg/rec could be causing coil failures? Unfortunately i have not been able to get a multimeter on during the short periods of run time.

Again no expert ..But I do know and suspect it to be an issue in some of the problems with the Gonzo project
as well as with other electronic ignitions
When it comes to electronic ignition there is a Quantitative aspect if to high or to low Voltage there is problems
8 V wont make the bike fire 15 V can also cause problems
But the problem with controller ( Computer ) ignitions can be a Qualitative aspect
Inside the boxes there are small on chip computers that are operating with ridiculously low currents at
ridiculously short time intervals / periods
There are Design considerations .In those electronic designs
Words like separated ground and signal planes Decoupling of components .
Radio transmitted signals with wiring as antennas .. and Circuit boards as antennas.

So a box from a working setup ..might not work in another installation according to these well known issues.
And requires as I understands some testing

So a regulator / rectifier can of course insert current spikes into the wiring ( As well as Over voltage ) that can affect that controller in the ignition.
We had a dutch gentleman that had a central ground point on the bike as he had been doing on Commercial trucks. State of the art..
Contrary to a separate ground as per recommendation sometimes with controllers . Separating ground via en extra wire made that bike run
Most likely not because the Quantitative aspect but by the Qualitative the central ground point had all that ripple and spikes that the sensitive controller could not make sense off.
As Rusty Pyles put it ..There are some tweaking and Know how ..experience needed to adapt other parts into an existing one
In this case a wiring designed pretty much before any Controller even was on a drawing board.Most of them with no electronics at all to begin with.
I am no expert but I was contemplating designing and programming my own ignition but these aspects seemed to dangerous and time Consuming.
Shielding / Separating / Decoupling seems to be the Keywords.
Again I am mo expert there are those that knows more .here I suppose
But I do know that a separate ground wire .Have solved problems on my Boyer setup as well as on more than Half a Dozen bikes last 6 months
Unknown to me if it was a Quantitative aspect --- or Qualitative
I just appears to be a solution.

Finally I have not done the read up But why not consider pulling separate + and - outside the harness to the ignition setup with a switch so it can be turned
off
Correct 12 V and correct ground and away from the rest of the " Ripple " so to speak
And of course the right things on the secondary side

Everyone's input is appreciated. I will wire up the ignitor and coil separate from other noise. My new coil is in route. For initial testing I will leave the charging system out of the equation. IF she likes the new setup and doesn't spit the coil, i will plug the charging system in and get readings

upload_2021-4-2_16-25-9.png

Last edited:
The GN250 manual page referrers to a early model gn250 that bears no resemblance to the bike the gonzo box was meant for.
The GN250 that manual page refers to was equipped whit wait for it a Hitachi TCI box

The Gonzo box on the other hand is a micro controller based TCI
It is the box used on the Chinese sourced copy of the GN250. the loncin 300 .

the Gonzo box only grounds the coil at the appointed time and sinks what ever voltage and current the coil demands. I have tested the gonzo with coils in the sub 2 ohm range (a pair of stock points coils in parallel for example) with no smoke or signs of heat in the coils or the box

I suspect a over voltage to the coil from the charging system .

perhaps a cheap 2 wire led voltmeter to keep an eye on charging voltage.

I suspect a over voltage to the coil from the charging system .
Agree. Especially since this started when Rich replaced the reg/rec. Could be a combination of over voltage/spikes and too much resistance in the secondary.

The gonzo box doesn't provide power to the coil so can't over power it.
It only gounds the coils like a set of points.

I would still consider have a inline fuse there and starting low on that fuse.
If I believed the box could handle a fuse melting
As I see it the power feed comes via the box with unknown internal resistance.
assuming that to be low internal and primary side coil a few Ohms
That can be seen as a short circuit to ground. more or less...
If it is higher internal resistance in the box there is a Voltage drop internal and less to the Coil
In theory
Perhaps is OK ..And things that I don't know about . Not done the read up.
Furthermore if over voltage Which is not impossible a fuse can help.

I hooked up another new coil on separate power supply directly from battery with a 5A inline fuse. Different spark plugs. The bike fired flawlessly right outta the gate with no reg/rec plugged in. I shut the bike down (wish i ran it longer without the chargin system inline). I then hooked up a multimeter and the newer regulator. Fired the bike, there was no chargin. I plugged in the older regulator to prove or disprove the charging system and saw 14.6v at middle range rpm, didnt increase with RPM. She then began to run like shit and smoking raw fuel. I shut her down and another coil is cooked. No further spark was created and the secondary resistance increased 2k ohm. So at this point different regulators, Gonzo boxes, stator rotor setups have ALL cooked a coil. The original 1980 regulator/charging system and gonzo box let me ride flawlessly for miles for several weeks while tuning...then suddenly out of no where she's eatin coils. Seems to have all started when i determined the original reg to be causin the mid range sputter. The aftermarket regulator was a modern direct replacement, shortly after she started the coil bullshit. Now anything i put on her she eats up.... I am going to try ONE more new coil and new regulator. I have seen mention of the Honda MP08 coil. Are there any good aftermarket regulators to run with the original chargin components ?

Has anyone experienced any heat related issues with the GN250 ignition module? I'm trying to work out my mounting position. All my electrical components are going in or on my fake oil tank. The faux tank will be heavily vented top and bottom but being so close to the exhaust it will still be warmer in the tank then it will be outside of it. I'm mounting my reg/rec to the bottom (outside) of the tank to try and mitigate any heat related issues but I'm wondering if I need to do the same with the Ignition module, I think I've got room on the bottom of the tank for both but would like to try and keep as much stuff IN the tank I can.

I hooked up another new coil on separate power supply directly from battery with a 5A inline fuse. Different spark plugs. The bike fired flawlessly right outta the gate with no reg/rec plugged in. I shut the bike down (wish i ran it longer without the chargin system inline). I then hooked up a multimeter and the newer regulator. Fired the bike, there was no chargin. I plugged in the older regulator to prove or disprove the charging system and saw 14.6v at middle range rpm, didnt increase with RPM. She then began to run like shit and smoking raw fuel. I shut her down and another coil is cooked. No further spark was created and the secondary resistance increased 2k ohm. So at this point different regulators, Gonzo boxes, stator rotor setups have ALL cooked a coil. The original 1980 regulator/charging system and gonzo box let me ride flawlessly for miles for several weeks while tuning...then suddenly out of no where she's eatin coils. Seems to have all started when i determined the original reg to be causin the mid range sputter. The aftermarket regulator was a modern direct replacement, shortly after she started the coil bullshit. Now anything i put on her she eats up.... I am going to try ONE more new coil and new regulator. I have seen mention of the Honda MP08 coil. Are there any good aftermarket regulators to run with the original chargin components ?

Sorry to hear this.
I shall think some more .But spontaneously
If the replacement Reg was cooked
and the original showed 14.6.. with problems
There are indications on charging problems.
How is the Gonzo Triggering setup .
How is the grounding connected as in directly to battery minus or into the Harness

And that --supply directly from battery with a 5A inline fuse.

Is that power on at coil all the time and not via Box
If the regulating happens on the upside of the box and not on the Downside as Mr Teamjunk described it
if i got it right.
From battery to coil to Ground is a short .( Not switched in box Upside )
Pictures ? Wiring ?

I am at Poor ground and or power supply and or disturbed signal to Gonzo box

The original 1980 regulator/charging system and gonzo box let me ride flawlessly for miles for several weeks while tuning...then suddenly out of no where she's eatin coils. Seems to have all started when i determined the original reg to be causin the mid range sputter.

Sorry to hear this.
If the replacement Reg was cooked
and the original showed 14.6.. with problems
There are indications on charging problems.
How is the Gonzo Triggering setup .
How is the grounding connected as in directly to battery minus or into the Harness

And that --supply directly from battery with a 5A inline fuse.

Is that power on at coil all the time and not via Box
If the regulating happens on the upside of the box and not on the Downside as Mr Teamjunk described it
if i got it right.
From battery to coil to Ground is a short .( Not switched in box Upside )
Pictures ? Wiring ?

I am at Poor ground and or power supply and or disturbed signal to Gonzo box

The original 1980 regulator/charging system and gonzo box let me ride flawlessly for miles for several weeks while tuning...then suddenly out of no where she's eatin coils. Seems to have all started when i determined the original reg to be causin the mid range sputter.

The gonzo triggering is original. I am using the orange feedback wire from pickup coil. I have the gonzo grounded directly to clean frame and the battery directly to clean frame at different points. For testing, the coil supply is directly from battery positive with 5a fuse and only connected to start and stop, not left on. The original coil feed was off the main supply harness because the ignition box does not supply power, just the ground pulse. The configuration i have would place the coil on the output side of regulation or at battery. The gonzo ground and regulator ground are at the same point. The wiring has remained the same since before this coil eating issue, other than the recent coil supply relocation for testing. I will draw a diagram.

The gonzo triggering is original. I am using the orange feedback wire from pickup coil. I have the gonzo grounded directly to clean frame and the battery directly to clean frame at different points. For testing, the coil supply is directly from battery positive with 5a fuse and only connected to start and stop, not left on. The original coil feed was off the main supply harness because the ignition box does not supply power, just the ground pulse. The configuration i have would place the coil on the output side of regulation or at battery. The gonzo ground and regulator ground are at the same point. The wiring has remained the same since before this coil eating issue, other than the recent coil supply relocation for testing. I will draw a diagram.

Just got the wiring ill get back on that ..here are some hints

I believe that is a mistake at least that is against design recommendations for micro controllers .where separation of ground is a main rule.
The shitty spikes and ripple out of a Chinese or worse regulator gets a possibility to hit into the Sensitive controller.

--> The gonzo ground and regulator ground are at the same point.

Changing that to
Leave the regulator ground at the frame some where far from Gonzo ground and draw an extra Ground wire to battery minus
from Gonzo box.

Changing that
--> For testing, the coil supply is directly from battery positive with 5a fuse and only connected to start and stop, not left on

For testing, the coil supply is directly from battery positive with 5a fuse and straight into box and Coil not passing anything else
And use a screwdriver for now at the testing phase disconnecting at the battery. not leaving on

If I this was me I would check other ground
after that have the battery fully charged and disconnect the charging circuit .and test ride.
ill get back on the wiring

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 104
Back