TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

I had a xj700 box on Old Brown and she would start and run but no ignition advance . I built a test rig to try and find out why and starting trying other cheap (china inc) boxes when I found the Gonzo box worked. The first Gonzo boxes cost me $8.00 on the smiley site so were much easier to find and cheaper than a used oem xs650 or xj box. And so it goes. And amazed that someone has read this thread since the beginning.:)

Perhaps we could ask ChatGPT to summarize it for us :)

Have we tried the gn pickup? I understand there is a rectangular metal on gn for a target?
I guess what I'm asking is there a pickup that will work advance correctly besides the original xs pickup. For pre tci set ups? I see the instructions in tech but I don't think it mentioned pickup.

I got this gn250 box but it looks very different than the ones other members have.
Do I connect it the same?

Attachments

• 20231226_134651.jpg
    20231226_134651.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231226_134700.jpg
    20231226_134700.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231226_134744.jpg
    20231226_134744.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231226_134804.jpg
    20231226_134804.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 33
I may be off here ..But that white stuff 1 st picture is that silicone that i supposed to be under the transistor
If i Recall right it has an heat transfer function and a washer is used under sometimes

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/power-transistor-insulation.298087/

I also believe there usually is a screw in the hole clamping it down

https://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-box-a-successful-repair-electronic-ignition-ignitor.3289/

The machine is vibrating I would talk to the seller of the box.. Unless someone here on the forum
Knows more about this I have not been doing the read up so good

1703624913548.png

Last edited:
I agree, the white glue is to keep the caps from vibrating around. that's good, they let this one leave w/o securing that Voltage amp down. Typical of a lot of chinese clone manufacturing is to NOT involve good quality control.

I agree, the white glue is to keep the caps from vibrating around. that's good, they let this one leave w/o securing that Voltage amp down. Typical of a lot of chinese clone manufacturing is to NOT involve good quality control.

I also have that experience .sometimes one gets bad parts and goods But they never make any Problems helping you out to correct . I kind of like that say it is 5 -10 % wrong but immediately gets help
Compared to
Other perhaps 2 -5 -7 % wrong but not a Snowballs chance in hell to get it corrected Dont even answer

In this case it would perhaps help to know if the stock Ignition box have a screw there

Interestingly it differs inside compared to the one 2M sliced open for me.
Lanz
Can you get a close up shot of the top of the 8pin chip on the lower right on the top of the board. That is the chip that makes everything spark at the right time. I think circuit wise it may be different but should function the same.. I'd clean up the grease mess, put about 6mm dab under the power chip , put a nylon screw and nut just to be safe and try it out

Lanz
Can you get a close up shot of the top of the 8pin chip on the lower right on the top of the board. That is the chip that makes everything spark at the right time. I think circuit wise it may be different but should function the same.. I'd clean up the grease mess, put about 6mm dab under the power chip , put a nylon screw and nut just to be safe and try it out
As soon as I have a little time I will take the photograph.
I did not continue with the testing process since the pulse coil hits the cover, I will have to think of something. Now I understand why the HHB system has a tab outside the flywheel.

Lanz

Attachments

• 20240123_132502.jpg
    20240123_132502.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 25
2m came for a visit today. Worked out nicely as I was headed out to the Barn to try and get the HEI module to fire with the wingnut. After getting enough battery voltage on my test stand. Voila we were able to make sparks with the wing nut. Think this might work.
1706659982693.png

1706660076656.png

The Gonzo Cordova edition rides again.

Did a mockup to see somewhat where stuff fit in the scheme of things .

1706679197844.png

This is a TCI motor so it's missing points plate and everything attached to it, points cam , advance rod , advance shaft bushings and the advance mech.

Will have to do some scrounging and fab work.

Having 2 pickups on the TCI engine could lead to some experiments with Bosch FI air pressure sensors and a relay to switch to a more advanced pickup on the cam when the vacuum is hi . I wonder

A points bike conversion I hope will be easier.
The only fabrication required is to shape the Mopar points plate to fit where the Yamaha points plate sat with HF grinder.

pull
points plate .
points cam

For a stock look repurpose the stock points wires to the HEI - pickup wiring.

install pickup plate using Yamaha timing plate screws .

Install wingnut on advance rod. Note still working on this part.

Set timing.

Back