TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

This is trace from my stock tci pickup and magnet. . Notice how the negative pulse is distorted. I'm pretty sure that's the influence of ether the advanced coil ringing or the rotors field.

View attachment 170649

Edit

The voltage on the stock pickup is a lot lower.14-16 Vpp
I'm still skeptical on the advance trigger causing your noise. When the magnet falls off the backside and the pulse returns to 0v... the advance trigger is still a good 15-20° away. Seems that any noise would appear as a smaller "ghost" pulse 15-20° after the initial pulse.

IMG_20200625_215702.jpg

Conclusion #2: Floater is not polarity sensitive.

I was surprised that the floater is not polarity sensitive. The non floater certainly is .
Can't figure why the box would malfunction with the alternator disconnected.

Last edited:
Can't figure why the box would malfunction with the alternator disconnected.
Yeah, that's a head scratcher. I'm gonna re-run that next time I play with it. Maybe it was just a fluke.

Back at the beginning of time (timing?) I read about pickups being used to advance timing. A pickup was made with the iron part the magnet swings past like an upside down stair. The idle would be closest to the magnet and this would trigger the transistor at low speed. As the rpm increased the trigger would make enough voltage to advance to the next step further from the magnet, and so on up the steps.

I've wondered if the Yamaha TDI worked similar with the high speed trigger coil making more voltage as the rpm increases? Inside the box could be a 'ladder' of resistors the high speed needs to overcome.

Obviously I'm no EE!

Tt

Weird scenes in the goldmine today
Turn out the 2nd probe is defective. Used a alligator clip on the internals to use it.

Putting a 1 meg pot in series with the pickup coil As more resistance is dialed in the spark retards and then dies at looks like 20k or so . Will try this again when I can calibrate things ????

Blue trace the pickup
yellow trace -coil terminal

Notice the little blip that's the little magnet and it got a response on the coil trace ??

The 3mm magnet is putting out 4Vpp . With the flying height adjusted to a more normal height will increase output a bit.

upload_2020-6-26_21-25-13.png

upload_2020-6-26_21-46-0.png

My wife has had about enough of Professor Proton at this point.

Had not been able to do this because of the gimpy probe. Had planned on doing the same thing this morning.
Looks like my drawings are wrong on the 650 side. The white / green wire is the idle pickup. Head scratching follows.
Focusreasearch posted this this morning, glad I saw it before duplicating it.

wg-top-wr-bot-with-tci-no-12v-jpg.170757

This change's a lot of stuff. Pickup position of the points conversion for starters.
Get I get a update on trigger coil polaritys and for that matter how's the bike running on the gonzo.

3-f 6-b
_or
3 -b 6-f

@Jim: 80SG Direct TCI swap....................................Runs normally. (grounded trigger) Miles since install 100
@azman857 80SG Originally TCI/Pamco................ Runs normally. (grounded trigger) Miles since install 10
@YamadudeXS650C 83 Special. Direct TCI swap.. Runs normally. (grounded trigger) Miles since install 10
@2XSive 81 Bobber. Direct TCI swap...................... Runs normally. (grounded floating trigger) Miles since install 10

8-pin-rev-0-png.170609

Had not been able to do this because of the gimpy probe. Had planned on doing the same thing this morning.
Looks like my drawings are wrong on the 650 side. The white / green wire is the idle pickup. Head scratching follows.
Focusreasearch posted this this morning, glad I saw it before duplicating it.

wg-top-wr-bot-with-tci-no-12v-jpg.170757
Just verified on my bike that the W/G is the advance pickup.... which comports to the traces above. Top trace is the W/G. That's the first spike. Bottom trace (W/R) spike comes after... that's the retard (idle) trigger.

Now I just have to transpose that to grey and orange.

Just to confirm you are using the w/r ?

Took a round file and elongated the slot in the TCI pickup. Strobed it and now I'm at 20° at idle and 34° at full advance. Still a little shy of the 35° I'm shootin' for. Bike starts just fine... at least with the electric start. My knees won't allow me kick start it, so I'll ask my neighbor Jeff to try it when he's back in town. If it doesn't kick back, I'll go an extra degree or two. Didn't get a chance to ride it. Hopefully take a ride tomorrow. I didn't check it but I think the floater box was giving a little more advance. When Jake's box shows up, I'll put the light back on it and get some numbers. As it stands now though, only 14° of advance is a fair bit short of what we want... and what's advertised for the box.

Discovered a few things today.
The RX135 pickup is 400 ohms and has a neo magnet on top off the coil
The little 3mm magnets are pretty strong.
Dual output CDI coils draw a lot of current at 12v (thought it was a Honda coil.

Have everything setup to test floater on single pickup and the 3mm neo magnet.
In the morning.

Yep, I was wondering about that coil. I do have a spare Honda coil for my 750 but a coil was next on my list of things to get. ( I'm just trying to stay up to date on what is happening here between jobs) I will get around to getting the "81" engine on a stand and running with the gonzo but it looks like, the way I'm going, it might be fall! :laugh2:

Edit: I likes the ends on those probe ends, Jim ! Cool beans!

Last edited:
Thinking out loud here....
The little microprocessor (mcp) determines where to place the advance by measuring engine speed (pulses), but what determines the amount of advance? Could it be the diameter of the sensor and/or the magnet? Looking at Jacks black and white diagram, I'm starting to think it is. Is it possible the sensor current sensed and lost by the mcp (start of pos. pulse to the end of neg. pulse) determines the duration (amount) of advance and the pulse itself is just a clock count to determine rpm? I realize the diagram is just a rough representation, but that would explain why I'm only getting 14° of advance instead of 20.
If that is the case, a sensor (or magnet) with a diameter about 25% bigger than the TCI sensor would get us up to 20° Or perhaps a stronger magnet? I think I'll put the modified rotor on the bike and see what happens.
Just noticed too.... the diagram calls for 25° advance.

gn250-timing-chart marked.png

Last edited:
Back