TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

OK, just want to add a few more comments: From what I can tell, the pickup circuit is completely discrete, or in other words, it has nothing in common with any other circuit within the bike. So, any similarity in wiring color coding is just that; a 'similarity'. I can't find any continuity between the pickup 'common' wire.....which I will define as being the black/white wire that is connected to both the 'start' and 'run' pickup coils, and any other electrical circuit. It simply connects to the TCI box. Once it's within the TCI box it's anybody's guess as to where it goes within, or 'without'. It appears that there is also a black/white wire exiting the TCI which is used to trigger a head-light relay. But, if that relay is bypassed, then the need for any signal from the TCI to turn on the lights is negated.

Anyway.... I installed my Gonzo yesterday, and I was delighted! I'll take a few pics tomorrow, but just to report on 'performance', I will simply say that the bike started on the first kick, and from what my ears determined, it may actually have provided a quicker 'rev' response than the 'stock' TCI. Let me state for the record that I have no true 'data' to support this....only my ears and eyes. But, being a pretty fair mechanic, I give my ears and my ability to 'hear' performance issues an A+. As an example, I'm pretty good with hearing improvements in EFI throttle lag in HD bikes when working with TBW (throttle by wire). For those unfammiliar with this, the EFI throttle body is actually 'motor driven'....no cables from the handle grip down to the throttle. Some TBW systems have a momentary lag in throttle response from the point at which the grip is twisted to the point at which the throttle motor actually moves the throttle plate. I did a lot of this kind of work when employed at Zipper's Performance, which is a HD 'Performance' shop in my area. Anyway, gaging engine wind-up by ear became a function of this kind of work. So, taking this back to the Gonzo, it was my impression that in using the Gonzo that the engine developed RPM more quickly than it did on the same fuel charge using the stock TCI box.

One point about this that should be mentioned is that the above does NOT necessarily mean anything in terms of real-world acceleration power. A free-revving engine might well gain RMPs more quickly with no load, but this might actually result in a reduction of 'torque'. And, that means that under a load, it may actually suffer in an acceleration test run. But, only a Dyno test would bare this out!.....or, I suppose, some runs on a back road from a standing start to a marked distance and with a good stop-watch!!

The main point here is that Gonzo worked!! And, I'm now progressing more on my 'project' bike. I'm going to go back an update my original thread....the one that brought me here to Jim, Jack, et al! But, again, I can't thank you guys enough for the work you've done to make this Gonzo thing a reality! I think a lot of otherwise 'dead-ducks' will be revived by this!!

Tom D.

It appears that there is also a black/white wire exiting the TCI which is used to trigger a head-light relay. But, if that relay is bypassed, then the need for any signal from the TCI to turn on the lights is negated.
7th wire black/white (sidestand interlock) circuit as found on the 82-83 Heritage Special TCIs.
tci 001.JPG tci 002.JPG

Has anyone yet to report if this 'quicker revving' translates into any increase in torque?

Edit: My bike is the '82 Special referenced in my prior posts. Hence the 7th wire! TSD

Gonzo MX

For my bean oil friends.
There are lots of XS650 people who also have Yamaha or otherwise 2 stroke enduros. And then there are the more affected crowd , The RD guys.

All the early 2 stroke had a horrid points setup that is a pain in the butt to set.

The later bikes had CDI systems with or without AC lighting coils. All expensive to repair and didn't work all that well in the first place.

DT owners . Trying to get a rough estimate of the flywheel inner diameter.

Modern pacific rim replacement ???

Banshee 2 stroke AC CDI $25.00

upload_2021-6-11_8-41-3.png

Small diameter flywheel GYT scooter AC stator

upload_2021-6-11_8-44-13.png

Medium size flywheel Banshee stator
upload_2021-6-11_8-48-15.png

Interesting discussion here about the Ignitrch TCI box.

Nice box but seems expensive.

The 650 is very much a analog bike.

I'm curious about your Gonzo experience. No spark, incorrect timing ?
Sparks, ran, but from my 2020 post: "Bad bogging between 3-5k rpm under load and throttle. Once it gets to 5k it opens up." It seemed to work ok in the driveway with the timing meter on it, but wouldn't work on the road.

I swapped the pickup leads and it went to kickback. Kick-back so bad I was scared to try more than 3 or 4 kicks. I was thinking about filing the pickup coil holes open when I got word a friend had fixed one of my stock coils. I put the Gonzo on the shelf and went back to the stock box. (I started working on an arduino based box, but didn't get very far. The thinking being that I could program the Arduino to do exactly what I want. There are a couple of other Arduino threads on that.)

Some posts from the September 2020 time frame when I was fooling with it.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-replacement-2020-it-works.57388/page-47#post-661689

Thanks for the work. Wish it would have worked for me.

Sparks, ran, but from my 2020 post: "Bad bogging between 3-5k rpm under load and throttle. Once it gets to 5k it opens up." It seemed to work ok in the driveway with the timing meter on it, but wouldn't work on the road.

I swapped the pickup leads and it went to kickback. Kick-back so bad I was scared to try more than 3 or 4 kicks. I was thinking about filing the pickup coil holes open when I got word a friend had fixed one of my stock coils. I put the Gonzo on the shelf and went back to the stock box. (I started working on an arduino based box, but didn't get very far. The thinking being that I could program the Arduino to do exactly what I want. There are a couple of other Arduino threads on that.)

Some posts from the September 2020 time frame when I was fooling with it.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-replacement-2020-it-works.57388/page-47#post-661689

Thanks for the work. Wish it would have worked for me.
Hey Matt, you did any more work on the arduino setup?

The pickups that we have been experimenting with were for a small Yamaha 2 stroke. Turns out Yamaha used them on a lot of bikes.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 11.48.12 AM.png
1646330021342.png

Reluctor and pickup will fit under the points cover I think.

Mopar reluctor mid 70s (Dodge Truck)

12 USD mail order
auto parts stores have them

1646332095255.png1646333942713.png

Have to do some more testing to see if this works. I have seen sparks and advance from this test rig.

Last edited:
The pickups that we have been experimenting with were for a small Yamaha 2 stroke. Turns out Yamaha used them on a lot of bikes.

View attachment 208902
View attachment 208903
Reluctor and pickup will fit under the points cover I think.

Mopar reluctor mid 70s (Dodge Truck)

12 USD mail order
auto parts stores have them

View attachment 208905View attachment 208906

Have to do some more testing to see if this works. I have seen sparks and advance from this test rig.
Very much like theLucas Rita reluctor, only more bumps.

Back