TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Early beta Mark I test article .001

Gonzo Fear & Loathing Edition.
Gonzo F&L

2Many and I spent Sunday afternoon in my workshop Chaos Manor playing with Gonzo test rig and multichannel scope.

Got the spark plug wire sensor working which gives me a better sense of what the Gonzo box is doing.

The Mark 1 test article produces spark and advance.

Upgrading the Gonzo test bench with a tach and a better housing for coil and plugs.
To continue.

Chaos Manor...
The Shed of Ill Repute...
You guys are giving my shop a complex.
"Why can't I have a name" it cries out.

First Ms Peggy was feeling inadequate after catching a glimpse of @Mailman 's calendar worthy work bench and the wall art he uses to cradle his collection of operation instruments.

Now my entire shop is in revolt.

Love the gonzo updates.
I am faily certain that I will be utilizing the system in some shape or form.
Definitely will be using a crank trigger.

Chaos Manor

Chaos Manor is a homage to Dr Jerry Pournelle.

He is one of those guys that reshaped the world but nobody noticed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle
A little torn and tattered but....

1649892918546.png

Last edited:
@Jim
I think I have found the solution to the TCI conversion. Spent the last several days getting the scope lined out etc. Comparing the RX pickup to the Yamaha TCI pickup the TCI pickup is putting out close to 10 volts peak to peak at 3600 RPM . The RX pickup is around 4 volts. The chrysler pickup which @kopcicle was playing with in the dawn of time puts out around 9.5 volts at the same rpm so my be a better candidate for the Gonzo crank mounted conversion.

The hard part about the cam driven pickup is the magnet orbit is 1/3 of the stock TCI magnet on the crank. Now that I think I have found the highest output pickup it's time for bigger magnets.

1649895063458.png

I have compared orientations , knife edge parallel to the magnet travel vs crossing and the waveforms look pretty much the same. Crossing creates slightly more voltage. The opposite of what I expected. Will study that aspect further. What I was exploring was how much voltage vs speed to expect from different pickups. Was really surprised at how much voltage the stock TCI pickup generates vs the rx and polaris pickups.

The other thing about the Gonzo box is when I have the battery I'm running to power the test stand on a HF 6 amp charger there is a large ripple on the b+ . Gonzo isn't bothered with it.

Back