TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

But I guess you knew that.
sorry for stating the bleeding obvious

I hadn't seen it .

Very happy and excited to see it and and see this reluctor setup work. Dennis had been advocating for this setup in 2007

Great to see In this video that the (in my case MoPar) pickup works with reluctor I'm using (all but 2 180 deg apart of the cogs ground down) makes enough output at cranking. I had given up on this approach from fear and loathing about enough pickup output at kickstarting speeds.
to find out another OEM source.

He used the Lucas backing plate modded to fit in the 650 housing

Lucas oem Rita

Some Volvos used a Rita System and I wonder if Lucas used a off the shelf from Borg warner or bendix part

americain (mopar. lx109 single pickup
LX114 dual pickup 277 ???

Before I finished this reply I went out to start to setup a test to see if I can repeat this video with the Gonzo.

First step mod pickup mounting base to ~2" diameter.

1654884913823.png

This just so appeals to my A.D.D. look theres a video Squirrel.
Screenshot from video.

Not so sure the cover will fit ?

The outline for the mounting plate in the above post allows the timing plate sit flush with the bottom of the points housing in the same place and hold downs as the stock points plate. Allows the reluctor to be mounted closer to bottom of the points housing.

1654886345369.png
Seem to remember around 17mm deeper than where this one is.

Last edited:
Screwed together some hardware.

Set up prototype reluctor on all thread to go through the cam

Looks like a good spot for everything.

Looks pretty. This should work great.

1654968812553.png

And then the final mock-up test ........

Fitting the cover.

Crap ,no wano .

The magnet is just too tall and so is the pickup.

I looks pretty and it might work but

So plan B again.

Glad to see another ignition nerd among us.

I thought the Lucas Rita was a auto system until you made me go look it up. The gonzo should work with that pickup setup with advance. Maybe too much.

Came across this site. Surprised at the advance settings.

https://www.doovsprojects.com/projects/commando-ignitions

Here's the data I used to set this up:
Lucas 31 degrees @ 5000 rpm
Boyer 31 degrees @ 5000 rpm
Trispark 28 degrees @ 3500 rpm
PowerArc 35 degrees @ 3600 rpm (taken off the Old Britts Web page).

Of course all this before Jim Dent and others put so much effort and time into the Gonzo box. I haven’t tried one yet but it’s on the cards.
As an aside, Ive mentioned them before. Made by Vape in CZ, marketed by Wassell.
A more robust copy of a Boyer system.
should be easily adaptable to an XS.

Attachments

• 0E611D96-43B4-487D-8B55-8308B3677B23.png
    0E611D96-43B4-487D-8B55-8308B3677B23.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
I'll admit, I didn't read all 69 pages....but what's the latest on the TCI replacement box? Is there a plug and play option? Did anything change, such as timing curve, etc.?

No pretty much the status quo. Timing curves the same, you have the choice of setting your total timing to what you want and let it fall where it wants to at idle or you can set the idle setting and you'll get about 5° short of maximum advance.
There is a new pickup which I think is going to work much better for the conversions, should see some test results very soon.

Always pays to have an auxiliary ignition on an old bike when your far from home.

One nice feature of the Gonzo is the TCI box itself is pretty small and it's easy to carry a spare The conversion pickup is available special order at most auto parts stores and the Gonzo box is pretty flexible about the coils it will drive, so most of the system can had from the parts store if necessary.

Several times back in the pre internet days ,I have been stuck trying to get Yamaha parts shipped by bus to where I was stuck far far away from the nearest Yamaha outlet.

Thank you again for posting about the Lucas pickup. I had looked at the Lucas sites but have only found one image of that (the Mopar) pickup.

I think with some mods to the mounting of the pickup that it could fit under the cover .

As thing stand I'm working on a magnet reluctor with the Mopar pickup that will fit under the cover but will require a little fabrication to create the reluctor. It works somewhat like Boyer- Branson ignition.

Cheers
Jack

Back