TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Just looked closer now that I'm awake . The connector to the wiring loom is all wrong. It appears you have the Gonzo ground connected to the black/white pickup centertap.

Need better pictures of both sides of the Gonzo pigtail /oem connection to tell for sure.

Just looked closer now that I'm awake . The connector to the wiring loom is all wrong. It appears you have the Gonzo ground connected to the black/white pickup centertap.

Need better pictures of both sides of the Gonzo pigtail /oem connection to tell for sure.
Yeah I was informed of this and rewired it as such. Still I’m having. I luck. I’ve removed the side stand kill switch from the relay and connector, tested voltage on the coil and going to the gn250. It initially was giving me 12 volts, but now I’m significantly losing voltage going to it. I’m trying to track down where I am. It seems the connection from my harness to the one I got from Jim is a spot where I’m losing about 2 volts. With my battery charged to 12.5 the voltage at the end of my bikes harness reads out 10.9, then 8.4 when plugged into the gn250. Trying to track that down

Attachments

• CF516FFA-451D-44D7-8A36-41B80F0893D6.jpeg
    CF516FFA-451D-44D7-8A36-41B80F0893D6.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 79
It should be oem black to gonzo pigtail black
black and white to one of the pickup inputs
red/white to red
orange to orange

Just posting an update to try and get some more eyes on it. The gn250 is now wired like this (video). So far I have replaced the coil with an MP08 that is healthy, put in new spark plugs, changed the wires, disconnected the side stand safety switch from the relay and the connector, ohmed the pickup coils, and disconnected the regulator. All of these have not changed the outcome. Currently this is the problem I face
-when the bike is on and the TCI harness connected to the gonzo, the voltages are as follows
-r/w 10.5
-orange 1.5-1.6
-pickups (w/r, b/w) 1
As soon as the harness is plugged in, I experience a 2 volt drop to the aforementioned number. I am going to replace my battery today, however, I was wondering if someone who has experience with these units can check my wiring for accuracy. Also how likely is it that I damaged the GN250 unit with my improper wiring?

GN250 6 pin adapter wiring, no spark

Replacement igniter Box for XS650 TCI Systems

We just passed the 40 year anniversary of the introduction of the XS650 TCI system. That’s a long time for a piece of electronics out in the weather . In my case I bought a motor that was a tci system. I had no box or anyplace to plug one into.

So with my options were to search for a oem box that dates to to the Reagan years or search for a replacement.

The TCI system is pretty simple. A magnet embedded in the rotor is sensed by a pickup coil, the oval black plastic in the upper right of the photo. The 650 pickup has 2 coils, one centered on the idle file mark and the other is in a more advanced position. The box determines which pickup by how fast the engine is turning.

View attachment 167149

I have tried quite a few igniter boxes and was able to make sparks but could not get them to advance mirroring what many others here have found.

Modern igniter boxes use a variety of ways to be triggered and several ways to firing the coil.

What is needed is a box that will provide 20-25 degrees advance and can be triggered by the stock pickup.
You guys are going from points to tci i am going from cdi to tci wouldnt i have a little diffirent process?i am a honda guy. I believe our 84 85 were tci.

Hello everyone. I own a 1980 xs650sg .The bike was running great. until, it wasnt. Starts up fine, runs fine for a couple of minutes ang then she dies. Wait for a minute, fires right up and then...she dies. Just like hitting the kill switch. I went through everything carbs,tank,petcock,electrics,everything. No luck. UNTIL, i found you wonderful people . I bought a second hand original gn250 tci for 40 euros. Followed this thread and did the swap. Plug and play. Runs better than ever,from idle to red line,all gears. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
Greetings from Greece

Attachments

• SSL10029.JPG
    SSL10029.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 69
  • SSL10030.JPG
    SSL10030.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 71
  • SSL10032.JPG
    SSL10032.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 71
Hello everyone. I own a 1980 xs650sg .The bike was running great. until, it wasnt. Starts up fine, runs fine for a couple of minutes ang then she dies. Wait for a minute, fires right up and then...she dies. Just like hitting the kill switch. I went through everything carbs,tank,petcock,electrics,everything. No luck. UNTIL, i found you wonderful people . I bought a second hand original gn250 tci for 40 euros. Followed this thread and did the swap. Plug and play. Runs better than ever,from idle to red line,all gears. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
Greetings from Greece
Welcome, we're glad your bike is up and running and glad you're here!

I had a xj700 box on Old Brown and she would start and run but no ignition advance . I built a test rig to try and find out why and starting trying other cheap (china inc) boxes when I found the Gonzo box worked. The first Gonzo boxes cost me $8.00 on the smiley site so were much easier to find and cheaper than a used oem xs650 or xj box. And so it goes. And amazed that someone has read this thread since the beginning.:)

Back