Tentative carb ID layout

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This is how i envisage the end product to be or there a bouts. Not to many posts making it easy to navigate for the IQ challenged, (takes one to know one............me), and doesn't clog up a thread with multiple posts for one set of carbs, or 2 or more pages to sift through.

Hopefully the album pics can be kept to a minimum or efficient. Would think of posting a file pic of the parts and parts no for each carb in there as well. Shame the good file pics will run out after 77

* Carb Guide PDF

Carb ID
Mikuni BS38's-BS34's
Intro and graph by ........2manyxs1b's, (2M)
As old-school, archaic, obsolete, primitive as they are, carburetors are still delicate/precision instruments, trying to function in a harsh/demanding environment, and should be treated as such.

They come from a time when folks were more tweaky and fiddly with their gizmo's, like fixing wristwatches, shoes, darning socks, fixing vacuum-tube radios, hot-breath warping wings on balsa gliders, adjusting circuits and yoke coils on vacuum-tube TVs, setting ignition points, hand-winding and tweaking rf coils on ham radios, ...etc.

You MUST master the understanding of the carb internals, what each part does, and when, and why, in order to successfully tune the things. Of course, the carb comes fully engineered to perform its function, years of development have taken care of that, but the tuning variables can create a humongous variety of combinations. So, a methodology must be used to isolate and target specific areas of adjustment.

If you find yourself thinking less about the tuning chores and more about the 'bling' and 'intense', like velocity stacks, polishing/painting, custom spigots, etc., there will likely be problems ahead.
2Many

What carbs do I have?

70-73; BS38
74-79; BS38
80-84; BS34

First 2 years there were some changes then from 72-84 the carbs changed every 2 years

Any year carb can be bolted to any year engine.

There are changes to the carbs every year or two from 1970 through 1984

It is important to find out exactly which model of carbs you have. Mikuni BS38 is a very general term, it's like saying you have a Chevy at the parts counter, Brass parts, jets, float bowls, and the carb bodies changed between years and models and mostly are NOT interchangeable. BS38s were also used on many other motorcycles with different spacing, brackets throttle shafts etc. Check and confirm that your XS650 carbs have the right set of brass installed. Many after-market "kits" contain wrong parts, even though they are sold for year X they may NOT have the correct brass for the year.

Big change years: Two separate BS38 carbs with 2 throttle cables were used from 1970-75............Bolt together one throttle cable BS38s were used 1976-79.

The next big change in the USA was the introduction of the BS34s in 1980........ The quick tell here is the 1970-1979 BS38s use aluminum caps.........1980-84, BS34s use chrome plated steel caps.

Use the graph below as a quick reference guide .........Then go to the post most likely to be your carbs, then identify

23306-1446134303-c24091a67909b7d9bb10cccc86fb2cdc.jpg

Links.
Throttle shaft seals-Throttle plate Removal-Screw replacements.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bs-series-throttle-seals-whos-done-em-who-needs-to.11980/

*CARB GUIDE: Required reading for tuning and understanding your CV Carbs.
By Grizld1, (aka Dick Russell, RIP), and 5Twins.
full

Attachments

• carbguide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
NOTE: Oceania, Japan, Europe BS34's have 5IX11, (5 I X11capital i ), adjustable needles and a 366YO needle jet

80SG/G.....81SH/H......82SJ/J Heritage Special........ 83SK/K Heritage Special.......84SL Heritage Special.........80-82 TX650, Standard model, SE Special model,(Japan)............ 80-82 US Custom, (same as Specials in US), and Standard models(Europe), BS34 Carbs.

All Bikes, including and after 1980, be they Standards, (Europe/Japan) or Specials world wide used BS34 Carbs.

US EPA restrictions meant the needle and needle jets used were different to the rest of the world.
BS34 SH-parts-list 01.jpg
BS34 SH-parts-list 02.jpg

80-83/4 Pilot screw
BS34 Pilot Screw 1.jpg
Position of the pilot screw on the carb body and the non US parts list # for the screw.
BS 34 copy.jpg

I Joined 5Twins pics to make a small tutorial, JPEG file, showing/explaining the removal of the factory plug over the Pilot screw.
Also an alternative option to buy a new pilot screw that is not available in the XS650 parts file
Clipboard 5td copy a  - Copy 2.jpg , Pilot screw replacment Part 1 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Carb ID

BS34 Links 1

2;

Broken Post

Suzuki CV carb dismantle and rebuild.........
Couldn't post the PDF it is to big..........link to PDF on BikeCliffs Website Scroll down and first link on the right

Not exactly the same as the XS CV carbs but as near enough that it is basically the same with a couple of minor differences

CV Carb Rebuild01.jpg CV Carb Rebuild02.jpg CV Carb Rebuild03.jpg CV Carb Rebuild04.jpg CV Carb Rebuild05.jpg CV Carb Rebuild06.jpgCV Carb Rebuild07.jpg CV Carb Rebuild08.jpg CV Carb Rebuild09.jpgCV Carb Rebuild10.jpg CV Carb Rebuild11.jpg CV Carb Rebuild12.jpg CV Carb Rebuild13.jpg CV Carb Rebuild14.jpgCV Carb Rebuild15.jpg CV Carb Rebuild16.jpg CV Carb Rebuild17.jpg CV Carb Rebuild18.jpg CV Carb Rebuild19.jpgCV Carb Rebuild20.jpg CV Carb Rebuild21.jpg CV Carb Rebuild22.jpg CV Carb Rebuild23.jpg CV Carb Rebuild24.jpgCV Carb Rebuild25.jpg CV Carb Rebuild26.jpg CV Carb Rebuild27.jpg CV Carb Rebuild28.jpg CV Carb Rebuild29.jpg CV Carb Rebuild30.jpg CV Carb Rebuild31.jpg CV Carb Rebuild32.jpg CV Carb Rebuild33.jpg CV Carb Rebuild34.jpgCV Carb Rebuild35.jpg CV Carb Rebuild36.jpg CV Carb Rebuild37.jpg CV Carb Rebuild28.jpg CV Carb Rebuild29.jpg CV Carb Rebuild30.jpg CV Carb Rebuild31.jpgCV Carb Rebuild32.jpg CV Carb Rebuild33.jpg CV Carb Rebuild34.jpg CV Carb Rebuild35.jpg CV Carb Rebuild36.jpg CV Carb Rebuild37.jpgCV Carb Rebuild38.jpg CV Carb Rebuild39.jpg CV Carb Rebuild40.jpgCV Carb Rebuild41.jpg CV Carb Rebuild42.jpg CV Carb Rebuild43.jpg CV Carb Rebuild44.jpg CV Carb Rebuild45.jpg CV Carb Rebuild46.jpg CV Carb Rebuild47.jpg CV Carb Rebuild48.jpg

Last edited:
New member here! I Really appreciate all the time and effort put in by the community. Thank you. This carb breakdown along with the VIN i.d. Section have helped me uncover my mystery project XS650. The Registration from previous owners stated it was a 1979 but upon investigation of the 3G0 Vin on the frame and engine and BS34 Carbs with brass floats it seems as though I have a 1980 XS-G. Wish I hadn’t bought a jet kit for a ‘79 with BS38 carbs!o_O

..... or in case you ever do a carb swap. I tried out two different sets of BS38's on my '83 last summer and both worked very well (after sorting). Eventually the original BS34's will go back on but I'm in no hurry, lol. In particular, I wanted to try out this set I adapted from an XS500. Internally, they're the same as a '76-'77 XS650 set .....

ReadyToMount.jpg

Mounted3.jpg

Working on a 1980 S/SG. I understand that '80s should have the chrome top B34 but(...this bike is well-known and complete) it is running BS38 carbs and they look very original to the bike. I know they could have been changed, but this bike is unmolested short of what we think is a dealer-installed king and queen seat. Could a very early '80 have some leftover 38's on it? It is a US-spec bike.

Attachments

• Joey and XS.JPG
    Joey and XS.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 29
  • CU of BS-38 carb.JPG
    CU of BS-38 carb.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 29
Working on a 1980 S/SG. I understand that '80s should have the chrome top B34 but(...this bike is well-known and complete) it is running BS38 carbs and they look very original to the bike. I know they could have been changed, but this bike is unmolested short of what we think is a dealer-installed king and queen seat. Could a very early '80 have some leftover 38's on it? It is a US-spec bike.
Your bike isn't an '80. The front reflectors (along with the -38's) are a dead giveaway. '80 and up were rectangular.... '79 and earlier are round like yours.
I'd guess that yours is prolly a '78 or '79.
Nice bike btw!!

Back