Tentative carb ID layout

Thanks. I was given this bike back in the 90's by some neighbors who were going to throw it away. I got it going and rode it down the block a few times and then parked it and it's sat since then. My son (the guy smiling on the bike who wasn't even born when I got it) showed interest and I said if he could get it going it was his. So far we have got it running...mostly. It has very weak spark on the right cyl. New coils, wires, plugs, and points. The last item on the list is the condenser and one is on order. Are they all mounted on top of the head like this one is? Took a bit to find it. LOL.

Not an '80? The head tag/sticker says 1980. I'll have to get a pic. Yes, this bike has points.

Last edited:
Well, I was completely wrong! Not sure why I had it in my mind I had seen 1980 on the tag, but this clearly shows it as a 1977 bike. My appologies and thank you for the info. Now to go look up the vin.

Attachments

• IMG_9227.jpeg
    IMG_9227.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9230.jpeg
    IMG_9230.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9228.jpeg
    IMG_9228.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 15
Well, I was completely wrong! Not sure why I had it in my mind I had seen 1980 on the tag, but this clearly shows it as a 1977 bike. My appologies and thank you for the info. Now to go look up the vin.
11/77 on the tag means it's a 1978.
Just like new model years on cars fall on the prior year, so do bikes.

Yes, it's a '78 Special. The 16" rear wheel and tire shown on the tag were Special only parts. The Standard model had an 18" rear wheel and tire.

As Jim said, production of the new models began in late summer or early fall of the previous year. Also, '78 was the first year of the Special model. In '77, only the Standard was made.

Thanks guys for all the great info. Obviously, bike minutia is new to me. I'm a VW guy (see sig pic) and understand the production/MY date as VW did this late summer thing too. So '78 SE it is.

I believe when my son bought carb kits he ordered for an '80. Would those jets be significantly different for the 34 vs the 38's? As I mentioned, we did get it to run and idle, but then it just quit. Still working on this issue. R cyl has very weak spark(all ing. components new short of condenser). A proper test of the condenser is next. I'll post in a different thread, as I just saw one with similar symptoms.

Much appreciated. First ride: Sorry for the orientation

I believe when my son bought carb kits he ordered for an '80. Would those jets be significantly different for the 34 vs the 38's?
Yes, significant difference. The first comment in this thread linked to the Carb Guide. It's pretty much the bible of 34's and 38's. I'd suggest studying it 'till your eyes bleed... ;)

Attachments

• carbguide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Thanks again, guys. The boy has some read'n to do. lol I'll probably read it too. ;-)

Thanks guys for all the great info. Obviously, bike minutia is new to me. I'm a VW guy (see sig pic) and understand the production/MY date as VW did this late summer thing too. So '78 SE it is.

I believe when my son bought carb kits he ordered for an '80. Would those jets be significantly different for the 34 vs the 38's? As I mentioned, we did get it to run and idle, but then it just quit. Still working on this issue. R cyl has very weak spark(all ing. components new short of condenser). A proper test of the condenser is next. I'll post in a different thread, as I just saw one with similar symptoms.

Much appreciated. First ride: Sorry for the orientation

2manyxs1bs, covers your questions in post 1. Best write up I have seen for an intro covering novis questions.

Back