Test rode a new Ducati Supersport 950.

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've had 4 Ducatis, S4RS Monster, S4R Monster, 1100 Monster and 800 Scrambler - and I know it sounds a bit wanky, but I want another one.
The new Supersport 950 gets great writeups, compliant suspension for the real world roads, enough power etc.
I would keep my CB1000R - like it a lot. The Ducati is no where near as powerful but I'm over the HP thing.
I was bitterly dissapointed in my test ride. It had the same tick, tick, tack, tick,clank tinny noises coming from the top of the motor which I experienced on a test ride of a 1200 Monster 2 years ago. You cant "unhear" them - they go away when your load the motor but drive you mad at all other times.
I tried to imagine having a nice termi/akra exhaust ($4000 worth - ouch) on it, but it wouldn't drown/mask this noise out.
Some of my other Ducatis had the dry clutch - this noise is not like that.
Oh well - nothing lost - thank the good lord for test rides - may have to look for an older Monster.
Regards Ray.

The old 650 has proven worthy. Everything I know about Ducati says maintenance headache and deep pockets. Lovely machines, but I’d rather enjoy looking at yours. I feel the same about pets. My neighbor will let me walk his dog any time I want to.

A buddy of mine just had his Ducati serviced (Desmo valve adjust, oil change, some carb tuning and work). It cost him like $1200 (Ouch!!), lol. I buy whole bikes for less, lol. He couldn't be happier and says the bike runs the best it ever has but all I can do is shake my head.

The car I drive says I’m living in poverty. I bought it with one easy payment and I’ve put 150,000 miles on it….so far.
LOL. You've probably seen my farm truck. Nothing says poor, white, trash like a rusty, beat-up, first gen Ford Ranger. I actually don't mind being underestimated :thumbsup:

I had a 94 ranger with the 4.0 and 5 spd. Couldn't kill that thing. I had it for 3 years and sold it with almost 300k miles. I did a heater core, a clutch and a shifter fork replacement. I'd buy one again If they weren't so dang expensive for a nice one..

A buddy of mine just had his Ducati serviced (Desmo valve adjust, oil change, some carb tuning and work). It cost him like $1200 (Ouch!!), lol. I buy whole bikes for less, lol. He couldn't be happier and says the bike runs the best it ever has but all I can do is shake my head.
Oh dear....Any Ducati with carbs would be an air cooled 2 valve per cylinder bike. Actually pretty easy to work on if you are just a little bit mechanically inclined. A valve clearance check takes maybe 1 hour. That is opening and closing clearances. Re-shimming all 4 valves (8 shims total) should not take more than a couple of hours if you have a selection of shims available. Oil change is just as simple as any other bike, and the oil filter is the spin on type, and almost the size of a car engine filter. If kept stock, the carbs normally just need synching and idle speed adjustment. Dead easy as well. Contamination of the carbs is hardly ever a problem, as they come with a pretty large fuel filter from the factory.
Of course, all the above relates to the cam belt engines, from the late 80s onwards. The earlier 750 and 900 engines from the 70s and early 80s with shaft driven cams are more demanding to work on.

Back