That other twin.

I remember a classic bike outfit in Carleton Place Ontario a few years ago claiming their tuned KZ twin was making 80hp.

TeamKZ. I can't find the site now, must have gone bust.

Seems a lofty number but probably possible. 70 or so can be had from the XS, so starting with a 750 and add whatever you can stretch that too, might indeed yield 80ish hp. I'd love to see that dyno sheet.

They weigh 60 pounds (15%) more than an XS650 in stock form.
Was going to use A KZ750B rear disk spoke wheel from a KZ750 on Madness till I lifted it. :cautious:

The bike always looked too long to me. Longer than it needed to be. The extra length mandated those long side covers and contorted the styling, to my eyes anyway. That extra length had to account for some of the extra weight and as you said, heavy wheel assemblies. Still looks like lots of potential in that engine.

The bike always looked too long to me. Longer than it needed to be.
upload_2021-10-26_12-8-14.png

This guy fixed that!

Back in the day I was surprised that they didn't make the cross over to AMA dirt track but figured the engine was too heavy and complex to make it viable.

I had my hands on the KZ650 a couple weeks ago. It's a four banger. It's hard to see it weighing any less than my XS1100. It's probably close. They did better with the 750 twin in my unqualified opinion.

I remember a classic bike outfit in Carleton Place Ontario a few years ago claiming their tuned KZ twin was making 80hp.

TeamKZ. I can't find the site now, must have gone bust.
Hp = torque × rpm /5252
If you can get a bottom end to hold together and spin the piss out of it 80 is doable. I guess most of us enjoy the XS torque and power. If I wanted 80hp there is a metric ton of 600, 750, 1000 cc sport bikes that have that.

Back