That was close!

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm riding my bobber, headed home as the 5 O'clock traffic is starting, following some cars out my twistyish 2-lane and put my left signal on. There's one car behind a little close, so in addition to the signal I stuck my left arm out horizontal to add attention.

Mu&$^^#f*@!er passes me on the left! Double yellow line! Damn near into oncoming semi! Happened too quick & I'm too shocked to get plate # (generic silver SUV).

Ya suppose dumb f'n bastards nowadays don't know hand signals? Did the f'er think I was signaling him to go around?

Sorry - had to vent...!

Last edited:
Should I not use hand signals anymore?

The signals are Atto LED's and the M-Unit strobes the brake light (also LED).

Yeah I'm pretty much done with 'em (hand signals AND cagers)
I'm still stuck using them on the E-bikes but seriously thinking of adding at least a left turn signal light on them, I already use a flashing tail light.
I kinda feel like I have a 6th sense about cagers that are not behaving "normally" and am extra cautious when one of "those" is 'round.
Sometimes an extra second or two wait, slow down can be a life or death pause.

Thanks guys! Still in disbelief. Just to add emphasis to how crazy this was; I'm shoot'in for the left about 80-90 yards ahead -speed limit 55, now slowed to ~40 , pass is made perhaps 20 yards short of that (google street view).
cbkbg.jpeg

Glad to hear you’re still with us. People are just too dumb now. I used to ride with my wife all the time. We were out on my old Dyna and were on a 3 lane highway. We were in the far right lane, I cannot stress enough that there was ZERO traffic. I signaled for the upcoming exit, got onto the off ramp and it’s about 50ish yards before it starts to bend. A car comes about 100mph from the far left lane, cuts across the center and then directly in front of us to get onto the off ramp. And I mean I was almost able to touch the car if I wanted. I hit my brakes as hard as I could and just rode it out. Caught them at the red light, got off my bike and started hustling to them flipping out, naturally, they looked panicked and blasted through the red light. After that I stopped riding with my wife, it’s one thing to take me out, but not her. Mainly why I stick to back roads now as well

Did the f'er think I was signaling him to go around?
I never thought of that. When I started riding hand signals were commonly used. We were taught in drivers ed what they meant. Even in the early 70s it was not uncommon to see the drivers of old cars and trucks using hand signals. Today it's very rare to see anyone using them.

The same event happened to me several weeks ago. We lingered too long at dinner in Oxford, MS. Mrs & I got darked on. We’re going north on MS 7 and I signal a left turn onto MS 319. As I initiated my turn the asshole in the SUV behind us passed on the left! There’s nothing wrong with my turn signals. Were I not paying attention, it would have been our last ride. This on the XS650SK. It was dark and no hand signals were involved, just a large blinking amber light to the left of my marquee taillight.

Glad you’re ok @jpdevol . People do act differently when there’s a full moon. Over the past few days I’ve seen a pickup drive right through a red light in front of me; a woman in an SUV decided to turn left in front on me this evening causing me to hammer the brakes and horn; on the twisties, I’ve never seen so many oncoming vehicles crossing over the line into my lane. Note to self - keep off the bike when the moon is full.

It's insane out there and texting and smell phones are making it deadly.In 2010 I got rear ended on my bike at a flashing light pedestrian crosswalk . Fortunately the elderly couple crossing dodged the carnage. Totalled my bike and beat me up even though I was in leathers. The woman got a 200 dollar fine for distracted driving ! Got the Buell rebuilt and in 2012 a kid in a pickup ran a red light while on his phone. t-boned the car beside me and rammed the car into my bike as i took evasive action. He had his learner's Lic. for 6 days. Broken bones and a totalled bike again. I always watch for driver's head actions and such. But it's tough to predict stupid. Ride side roads now.

It's insane out there and texting and smell phones are making it deadly.In 2010 I got rear ended on my bike at a flashing light pedestrian crosswalk . Fortunately the elderly couple crossing dodged the carnage. Totalled my bike and beat me up even though I was in leathers. The woman got a 200 dollar fine for distracted driving ! Got the Buell rebuilt and in 2012 a kid in a pickup ran a red light while on his phone. t-boned the car beside me and rammed the car into my bike as i took evasive action. He had his learner's Lic. for 6 days. Broken bones and a totalled bike again. I always watch for driver's head actions and such. But it's tough to predict stupid. Ride side roads now.
Even the cars themselves are equipped with distractions! My 88 year old father driving his 2023 model turbocharged car concerns me. He can't possibly grasp the operation of that screen. He can't grasp email. At least, there's no worry about him being distracted by a cell phone. He doesn't know how to work that either.

Mercedes Benz touts it's new DRIVE PILOT as "gives customer back time so they can focus on certain secondary activities such as communicating with collogues... browsing the web or relaxing watching a movie" :yikes:
Hanging up my helmet this Summer if not before...

Mercedes Benz touts it's new DRIVE PILOT as "gives customer back time so they can focus on certain secondary activities such as communicating with collogues... browsing the web or relaxing watching a movie" :yikes:
Hanging up my helmet this Summer if not before...
Dumbing down the world one car at a time.

Back