The great 2M BBQ hunt

Found this on line:
Why do they call it a hush puppy?
The name is often attributed to hunters, fishermen, or other cooks who would fry some basic cornmeal mixture (possibly that they had been bread-coating or battering their own food with) and feed it to their dogs to "hush the puppies" during cook-outs or fish-fries.
Good old down home deep south legend.

I'm not making this up, our high school Principal's name was Richard Bates. I got into a bunch of trouble calling him Master.... :rolleyes:

One of my university classmates was Philip Bates - and he wrote a column for the weekly (and wildly popular) engineering newspaper at Queen's: the infamous Golden Words - Canada's Other National Newspaper. There had been a previous engineering paper called "The Orifice" which had been shut-down by the Dean (no sense of humour I'm afraid).

At the GW, Philip's column was entitled "The Vena Contracta" which is a Latin term for that odd effect where a stream of water emerges from a faucet and seems to shrink in diameter before expanding again further downstream.

The formal definition of "vena contracta" is "the turbulence after the orifice" and Phil's nom de plume was "Mastur".

I guess its all in how you spell the name.....

Sorry Fred didn't see this till today. 2-17-20 was the day I had a heart attack so was rather pre occupied.

Had to think a little but about this because I've eaten them all my life and never really thought about what the hell they are.
Basically corn bread mix that is rolled up into a ball about the size of a golf ball and then deep fried to within an inch of it's life. It's kinda similar to a corn dogs outer coating.

easy-hush-puppies-112016-581b61635f9b581c0bf43489.jpg

Hi TJ,
yet another hint that eating deep-fried dough balls on a regular basis ain't a good idea, eh?
Mind you, eating too much of anything (except green veggies, perhaps) can crud up your arteries and trigger a heart attack.
As a 30-year heart attack & balloon angioplasty survivor myself I'm sure you'll be in the wind again soon.

2 hooligans killing more BBQ in Texas . Nice 60 mile loop from where 2m and I met up with a stop by la hacienda to check out the BBK after the BBQ.

View attachment 187073

Ha! That’s kinda like going on a pub crawl, only with smoked meat instead! At least you won’t get pulled over by the cops for eating too much brisket! :laugh2:

Oh, yeah, yesterday was a beautiful day.

Got another brushpile finished.
Gads, so many broken branches and trees.
20210315_BBQrun01.jpg

So, time for another BBQ hunt.

Hooked up with Jack (Team Junk) down in Kerrville, and rode all about the Hill Country south of there. I was curious about what icestorm damage may have occurred down that way, and I'm pleased to report that there's very little, if any, foliage damage.

Stopped at Keese's BBQ in Medina.
20210315_BBQrun02.jpg

Oh, man, that's some awesome BBQ.
20210315_BBQrun03.jpg

Thanx, Jack!

Wandered back up the twisty/winding Hwy-16 to Jack's place, catch up on his projects. Sure 'nuff, the icestorm hit his place hard too. Feels like we were singled-out for mother nature's wrath...

*Another* BBQ run!
Heard about a new BBQ joint that recently opened in Doss, TX.
So, @Team Junk and I headed up there to try it out.

View attachment 191922

Big place! Great BBQ! Highly recommend!

View attachment 191923
Hi 2Many,
there's even a "Battle of the BBQs" in Saskatoon every summer.
We don't usually attend as it's usually the same weekend as the Biggar British Bike Rally but one year we managed to go there.
Big ol' semis from all over, each one lettered up claiming to be offering the genuine Texas/Louisiana/Kentucky BBQ experience.
"Eat 'till you hurt" seemed to be the rule. Gotta say there's very few things I'll stand in line for these days, but that BBQ was one of them.

Back