The great o-ring, seal, gasket, nut, bolt, sizes used on the XS650 thread.

From an excellent 5twins thread here; https://www.xs650.com/threads/suzuki-carb-parts-for-our-650-carbs.61197
A couple of these have been mentioned before, the butterfly shaft seals and the brass floats for the 1980 BS34s .....

HyQ0ryF.jpg

vkASsOa.jpg

..... but I've discovered some others and would like to share. Here's a Suzuki parts diagram from Part Shark showing most of them .....

K0MSUNM.jpg

Part #16 is, of course, the butterfly shaft seal. At around $1.50, it's quite the bargain especially since Yamaha's price recently spiked big time, more than tripling from a retail of $5.99 to $18.50. Even discounted from Partzilla or Part Shark, you'd still have to give $12 to $14 for one. The next two parts on the list, #17 and #18, are pure "unobtainium" from Yamaha, they don't even show or list them. #17, what Suzuki calls a "Gasket", is actually the plastic washer you'll find on the BS34 butterfly shafts. I was delighted to find this part as they are often pretty beat up and in need of replacement .....

8jCjjzF.jpg

Part #18 is the e-clip fitted on the outside end of the right BS34's butterfly shaft, another part I was delighted to find. They are often pretty crusty and rusty. Here's one compared to an original and it is, indeed, an exact match .....

Ang7jEo.jpg

Part #26, the float bowl gasket, may seem expensive at a bit over $6, but it's not compared to Yamaha's $38 retail price. Part #28, the rubber plug for the pilot jet, is also a few dollars cheaper from Suzuki. But both of these parts can be found cheaper from the aftermarket on eBay.

Part #34, the retaining plate for the BS34 float needle seat, I sort of struck out on. Usually, when you look a part up on Partzilla, they have a picture of it. For this one they didn't, so I just went by the drawing, and it let me down, lol. Here's what the part really looks like .....

1jDPp2m.jpg

But even though there was no way it would fit with the extra tab on the side, at least the cutout and mounting hole matched .....

0NY2CL1.jpg

ix0YpZ0.jpg

So, I was able to cut it down and make it fit pretty easily .....

3Ui4P3V.jpg

GXVZbzz.jpg

But, I wasn't giving up on finding this part yet, lol. There were several others offered that did show pictures in their listing, and this one looked to be a match compared to an original I measured, just under 5/8" long .....

W5r8anI.jpg

tdjfdxP.jpg

..... and it is, matching up and fitting perfectly .....

jbmb4f9.jpg

qqh3A9C.jpg

Next up on the list, replacement plastic floats for the BS34s. From researching, I figured these had to be the ones, but the only way to know for sure was to buy some. On a recent 1980 BS34 refurb, the original brass floats were shot from sitting coated in gas varnish for 20+ years. It had eaten holes in them and they failed the hot water dip test. I recommended the guy switch to the plastic floats as they can't do that since they're a solid plastic foam. Basically, they should never go bad. Plus, they're a couple dollars cheaper than the brass replacements. And we have a winner. These are the same float, an exact match in every respect. Here's one compared to an original .....

2fV5GbX.jpg

pZSuwK9.jpg

One of the things you look for in a replacement plastic float is whether or not the pivot pin hole has a tube sleeve insert .....

xWDenw1.jpg

Many aftermarket ones do not and that makes for a sloppy, loose fit on the pivot pin. The float can hang up and stick in operation, and often does. The Suzuki float has the tube insert so it's good .....

lUbCkns.jpg

And last on the list, #37, is the float hinge pin, and I quite like this one. Much cheaper than the Yamaha one and , in my opinion, it's better .....

4pa9ifh.jpg

The Yamaha pin is stepped up under the head and won't insert fully. You need to tap it in with a small hammer to get it fully installed. This can make it difficult to remove, running the risk of breaking a pivot post off .....

JLFmKhc.jpg

ScSNazH.jpg

The Suzuki pin isn't like that, not stepped out under the head much, if at all. It easily inserts nearly all the way, then a couple gentle taps with a small hammer seats it fully and "sticks" it in place .....

2ktxf2i.jpg

5a6NnaC.jpg

exzYNyU.jpg

But even if it didn't "stick" in there, there's no worries about it backing out. When you install the float bowl, the pin and posts fit into this area .....

svNFbmy.jpg

..... and that effectively blocks the pin in so it can't back out.

Last edited:
Well, it's finally happened, working on a set of BS38s I needed new floats. Getting them from Yamaha is out of the question as they cost over $40 and even the Suzuki equivalent isn't very good (just under $30). Up until now, best price was about $18 from 650Central. So, I did some research. These floats don't look like anything special, no special shape or odd tabs on the brackets, so I looked for basic replacement Mikuni floats. A very common one that popped up was the VM24/171. Mikuni says it was used on many of the VM type carbs in the '70s, along with many other carbs. One seller was nice enough to show a dimensioned pic .....

Mikuni-VM24-171-Genuine-Brass-Float-Dimensions.jpg

I compared it to an original float and it matched, so I decided to take a chance and order some. Now that I have them, I can confirm that they are indeed an exact match in every respect and fit perfectly. Best part is the price - the retail is only a bit over $14. You can buy them all day long on eBay for between $13 and $14, and get them for as little as $11 to $12 from some of the big box stores .....

Compared.jpg

Compared2.jpg

Compared4.jpg

Compared6.jpg

Compared8.jpg

Back