The new life of a 72' XS II - Build thread

Following this method I measured 0.20-0.35 mm side-play all around, which further confirms that the valves are done for.
View attachment 262851
Monday I’ll call a few shops to hear what they’ll charge to change valves and guides, before I start doing it myself.

Good thing I’m not doing this as a business, there’s no way restoring and maintaining old bikes makes economic sense unless it has an emotional and curious learning value 🏍️

Ringsted Motor can have parts
And Rudiger
https://www.xs650shop.de/en/cylinde...e-guide-intake-xs-performance?number=05-11133

I have been thinking about the economics of this
It can be costly but also cheap , Most do this as a Hobby and Quality Time ..Having some tools interest and experience.
For me it is Quality Time Sunshine-- Rock and Roll Music ..Trying to solve it
But if you have the Time Which many have these days .. Not least Young persons with no jobs.
I have been riding on the Cheap every Year the last 40.

But yes Shops here don't even take in old Machines .
Electrical problems fex Many Hours charging the Costumer and then he comes back Complaining

Ringsted motor has been my go-to for many parts, being the only shop here in Denmark that stocks xs parts and can ship from day to day.
But like many others, I shop where i can get the parts the cheapest if there's no deadline.

I always prefer to do the jobs myself on my bike, despite sometimes costing the same, often less, but always taking more time while learning, but I'm currently doing my masters degree in engineering, while juggling two jobs, planning the local DGR ride as primary host and dealing with the great personal loss, of losing my father in a motorcycle accident in november. So prioritizing my mental health has been a growing concern lately.
While working on my bike is meditative for me, we all need to prioritize spending time with family and personal time to recover, why i need to get this bike back on the road so i can feel the wind around me and the vibrations through my hands, only to rest in my hammock between two trees with my bike next to me and an IPA in my hand.

Luckily there's a several workshops around Aarhus, Denmark, who specialize in building race bikes from the 60's-80's, shipping them all over Europe, surprising considering the salaries we demand here, but it does seem like some of this is off the book heheh.
The knowledge the old-timers have is amazing though.

I noticed Getor.de has the valves for about 92€ total plus shipping, some 40€ cheaper than the earlier mentioned, then i just need guides and the work itself. Depending on the price the shops charge, I'll se if I'd rather do it myself as parts would amount to about 200-250€ with new gaskets and all.

Back