The Patience build.

Just judging by your pics, I'd guess you have a 36-38T sprocket on there. Maybe even a 40T :yikes:

Yep Jim you are correct its running a 40T rear sprocket...Yikes..:yikes:
The rear wheel is 18'' with a 17T front sprocket. No wonder it felt like a Jack Hammer at 50MPH and above.
Its also running the original cheap chain as after the 40 mile run yesterday it has stretched a bit.
So I'll be putting a gold DID chain and new sprockets on pronto.

Looking like there’s not going to be stainless spokes going back on these wheels. Every site I look at shows stainless “ out of stock”. COVID strikes again! I wonder if it would be worth powder coating them vs a new set although the standard zinc are affordable enough or is taking them off going to be a bigger PITA if I try to save them? If I do this I also need to search for wheel trueing as this will be my first attempt.

I've been able to remove most old ones without cutting. Soak the nipples in penetrating oil overnight and get yourself a good spoke wrench. If you can find one (eBay), the Rowe brand wrench is excellent. I've never encountered a spoke it wouldn't fit yet .....

ws3IhXY.jpg

KqmITPo.jpg

Be aware that there are lots of Chinese knock-offs out there. An original will have the "Rowe" name clearly stamped on it .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124964396579?hash=item1d18755e23:g:HLUAAOSwUE5hcMe3

I've been able to remove most old ones without cutting. Soak the nipples in penetrating oil overnight and get yourself a good spoke wrench. If you can find one (eBay), the Rowe brand wrench is excellent. I've never encountered a spoke it wouldn't fit yet .....

ws3IhXY.jpg

KqmITPo.jpg

Be aware that there are lots of Chinese knock-offs out there. An original will have the "Rowe" name clearly stamped on it .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124964396579?hash=item1d18755e23:g:HLUAAOSwUE5hcMe3

I bought one just like that, on your recommendation, it works really well. I found a used one on EBay, it came from a pawn shop of all places! :laugh2:

I wouldn't chance buying one of the knock-offs, not when originals are still readily available for around the same price.

I wouldn't chance buying one of the knock-offs, not when originals are still readily available for around the same price.
I agree however I seem to be running into “out of stock” on pretty much everything I look at. Must be COVID related. Everyone stayed home and re-laced their rims lol

I decided to order spokes from Yamahaxs650.com. I’m going to have to order the plated spokes as everyone is OOS on the stainless and I better get these ordered while they’re still available. If I don’t have to destroy the old spokes perhaps I’ll powder coat them. That or eventually throw them away because I’m tired of looking at them.

I would save at least a few of both types (inners and outers) to have as spares in case you ever break a spoke. You can also make some nice little special tools out of old spokes, mostly probes and pokers, but very handy none the less .....

nfVjS2L.jpg

In particular, the one on the left above is a good one. This is for installing those pesky little spring-loaded balls you'll find on the BS34 choke rods and in some handlebar controls. You dimple the end of the cut-off spoke with a small drill bit .....

M5AF9aC.jpg

Then with a dab of grease on it, it will hold the ball as you insert and install it .....

YsNhyKm.jpg

The nipple threads also happen to match that threaded stud on top of your spark plug so you can make up little "special tools" to attach the spark plug cap to when doing the "dead cylinder" method of setting your mix screws .....

pjhrLGH.jpg

With the "special tool" installed, you can quickly and easily short that plug out with a long screwdriver to the cylinder, killing it.

Those are nice ideas and suggestions 5T, thanks. These ideas and posts are how people can learn, especially me……

Yes i think you should keep the spokes those make all kind of hooks fex for painting
I use a Bicycle stainless steel spoke for yanking out oil seals
I make a small hook on the end .. push it in past the rubber lip of the seal turn it 90 degrees
Hold the outer end with some strong pliers and then start pulling or even hitting on the outer plier

Spokes and wrench are now here, just waiting on a truing shaft. I’m going to build a stand but looking into the parts for the axle portion to buy everything I needed would have been over $40. I looked on Amazon and they have a complete set-up for $16.99? WTH? Stock spokes are soaking for a couple of days while I wait. I’d like everything ready to go so I can get a flow as I have to clean and polish these wheels and hubs also. The last few days I’ve been trying to thin out some of the accumulated parts I have which belonged to past projects, replaced items and just things I no longer need. It occurred to me I have another front caliper and rotor which I’m pretty sure will work to install dual front discs. It looks relatively simple but if anyone knows things I need to look out for by all means chime in!image.jpg
Pretty sure this pattern will work, I just need to pull it off and check and I have this caliper.image.jpg
The only thing that looks different to my eye may be the sticker orientation?

Last edited:
Looking at other threads I think I’ve answered my own questions. The 7mmx298mm disc should work fine. I’ll order another set of o-rings and pads. Does anyone know if I need a different(longer) barrel bolt for the manifold?

Front went easier than the rear, however I encountered two issues. The first is that I appear to have ordered the wrong set of spokes for the front. I don’t know what I was thinking but I did know about the difference. Second I’m looking at the quality of the new spokes and they are noticeably a lighter, thinner spoke. Does anyone know if that will make that much of a difference and should I just scrap the new spoke idea and powder coat the stock ones. They all came out with no damage so re-using them is very doable.image.jpgimage.jpg
I also used this wrench.It was a little tight getting it on the first few but after I worked the “burr’s off it worked very well.image.jpg

Last edited:
Back